Keeping standing water in your false bottom is good!!!

Vivarium Plan design, "Build Journals", DIY, Viv Maintenance Issues.
Philsuma
Site Owner

Keeping standing water in your false bottom is good!!!

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Yep, it's not only good, but it's natural and 'the way it's supposed to be'.

The water is brown coloured from the tannins and soil leaching but again, that's GOOD.

If the viv is made right and the plantings aren't rotting, then the false bottom water will NOT smell bad. At the MOST, it will smell 'earthy' and like 'the jungle'.

I've had 40 vivs with 3-8 years of 'brown' water in the false bottom and not a single bad smell. The water is FINE - not dirty, not bacteria ridden, ebola laden ect.

Your microfauna will LOVE you for keeping the water in the false bottom and not fuckin' with it or attempting to 'clean' it.

Your viv will enjoy higher humidity due to the standing false bottom water AND you'll more accurately be able to chart the evaporation rate and this will tell you the humidity of the viv - VERY helpful

Rusty_Shackleford

Re: Keeping standing water in your false bottom is good!!!

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 pm

I was visiting a local frogger yesterday and they told me they routinely let their false bottom partially flood some of the substrate before draining it off to an appropriate level. Sometimes the ground gets saturated in nature, as long as your plants roots don't rot, I don't see the harm. Any thoughts?
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Good to see you back Jon! You down south or New England ?

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Good to see you too Phil. I'm still down here in God's waiting room.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks for the information. As a new keeper it is good to hear from others about simple stuff most people overlook.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm

I think Ed K. went so far as to say that he would DRINK false bottom water from an established viv! I dunno If I'd go that far, but it gives you an idea on how safe the water is.

People can get so squeamish!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:I was visiting a local frogger yesterday and they told me they routinely let their false bottom partially flood some of the substrate before draining it off to an appropriate level. Sometimes the ground gets saturated in nature, as long as your plants roots don't rot, I don't see the harm. Any thoughts?

Do you know what mix is being used for the substrate? I switched over to Turface years ago and it's really forgiving. I structure the floor of the viv with Turface, then place pockets of ABG for planting. This works out to 90%+ Turface, and even if it gets flooded, it drains rapidly.

I also give my vivs a power wash every 2 to 4 weeks which ends up flushing the false bottoms, so I probably end up moving more water through my vivs than most people. It's also interesting that I can tell which of my vivs are older / grown in where the plant roots have hit the false bottom. In those tanks the water comes out much cleaner. Took those vivs 2 years to hit that point. I don't care how old or gown in the viv is, I'm not drinking that water :)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Return to “Enclosures, Setup and Construction”