Newbs be like...

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Philsuma
Site Owner

Newbs be like...

Postby Philsuma » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I want a waterfall !

I want a stream and a waterfall !

I want green carpet moss everywhere !

I want a PALUDARIUM !!!!

I want to house treefrogs and snakes and birds with my dart frogs in a 55 gallon !

Frogopolis

Re: Newbs be like...

Postby Frogopolis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:38 am

Philsuma wrote:I want a waterfall !

I want a stream and a waterfall !

I want green carpet moss everywhere !

I want to house treefrogs and snakes and birds with my dart frogs in a 55 gallon !

When I used to spend a lot of time on the forums, especially the one frog forum that attracts beginners, the number one thing they always asked about was how to set-up a water feature. No matter how much you would try and dissuade them from attempting this for their first vivarium they would always ignore you and build it anyway with the enevitable bad results along with asking how to fix it. I gave up a long time ago trying to give advice to beginners because they never followed my advice. I think most of them could care less about the frogs and just want to have some great enclosure to impress other people with it.

I will admit this - I have always wanted to attempt growing a green moss carpet in my enclosures, but those things seem a little tricky. I may still attempt it in the future.

After I set-up my first dart frog enclosure I let it grow in for 3 1/2 months before I ordered frogs. I doubt any beginner does this. I still have those first frogs, all four of them - D. leucomelas and their coming up to their 7th year with me. They were 3-4 months old when they arrived.

If you are a beginner the only thing I will say is read this;

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/ ... ground-up/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:38 am

NOW I see where all this 'Paludarium goofiness' is coming from....the FISHY tank hobby/people! Those fish magazines are promoting that crap. Totally unsuitable for almost EVERY species of dart frog.

I talked with a 'Reptiles Magazine' rep a few years ago at the Daytona Reptile show and he let me in on a little secret. EVERY single front cover photograph results in huge demand/sales for that particular animal or in this case, enclosure, featured! People are so easily influenced.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:08 pm

It is a bit frustrating to see all the posting about water features and very little discussion on husbandry. There's a reason a question about substrate composition gets many of us posting again :)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Okay, I got it, no water feature. BUT in self defense I have watched this video from Josh's frogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YRt-meqET8 It is very confusing coming into this hobby. I found Josh's site and read the ground up blog and every other page on his site. I book marked it and then went on for more research. I don't necessarily trust someone that is trying to sell me something.

I am taking in all pics of viv's, the articles on viv's and joining forums. You all have already taught me a lot and I find this the most up to date forum. I am listening. My friend had already told me to get the viv up and running for 3 months before ordering frogs. I always research the needs of a creature before I bring it into my keeping. I'm a RN so nurturing is my nature.

Even though I have been in the aquarium hobby for 35 years, I still research fish I think I want to own. BTW, I did a lot of research on how to create a waterfall in an aquarium...that doesn't work either.

Anyway, thanks for this forum,

Sheryl

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 pm

heh, actually this 'bump' was not for you Sheryl. Just part of my ongoing rant, but I AM glad you are 'going easy' on your first build.

You will do just fine.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:12 pm

Oh and that Josh video ? That tiny tank will 90% turn into a soupy gross mess in probably under 6 months. Josh wants to sell products - nothing bad about that, even the build advice isn't 'the devil' but it is FAR from ideal and FAR from what I'd recommend to others, especially new hobbyists.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:26 am

Yes my comments were not directed at you Sheryl. It was refreshing to have you asking questions on enclosure size and substrate composition. There has been a significant increase in people entering the hobby asking questions on paludariums and large water features housing fish and frogs with little to no questions or concerns on proper frog husbandry.

I hope we see a shift back to people asking questions on husbandry and proper housing of these animals rather than treating them as an accessory to a water feature.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”