I finished my viv!

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

I finished my viv!

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:02 pm

I get some plants today so this won't look so bare. This is a 29 gallon aquarium, 30x12x18. I will be keeping Cristobal O. pumilio in it. I plan on buying 4 juvies and hope to get a pair. The pair is all I will keep in this viv.

I used 2.5 to 3 inches of hydrobals, mesh, one inch of Turface and one inch of ABG. I build in some ledges for climbing. I made the wall "rocks". Unfortunately they look like lava rocks, but I think in a while they will disappear in the foliage any way. I put in a mancave on the right and will also get a coconut hut.

Any changes or improvements I need to make?

I am also seeding springtails today. Do I need to put a piece of banana in the tank since there is nothing for them to feed on yet?

joneill809
Site Admin

Re: I finished my viv!

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Great start! A few comments / questions:

Do you have a way to siphon out excess water? Or is the tank drilled? Depending on your misting levels you may need to siphon water out. It looks like the bottom drainage layer is sloped a bit, keep in mind the lowest point is your effective false bottom, so you may only have a half inch or so of water that you can house.

If you can put more branches in to access the upper portions of the viv that would give the frogs more space and more space for mounting broms too.

What are the black ledges made out of? Is that exposed foam?

What's your lid look like and how much ventilation have you provided?

Nice work!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Take another pic with the plants installed when you can. With 4 pumilio, even froglets and juveniles, you are going to need a bunch of 'visual barriers' and plants with semi broad/big leaves perform that function really well. If you can get 2-3 small to medium bromeliads to attached onto that wood feature, that would be really good. pumilio and broms go hand in hand.

Very good start.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:02 pm

oh. Springtails will forage into that leaf litter and unless you are dumping in a virtual army of them, they'll do just fine without extra feeding due to all that wonderful leaf litter. Be sure to start hand spraying/ misting your tank to get an idea of rate of evaporation.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:46 pm

joneill809 wrote:Great start! A few comments / questions:

Do you have a way to siphon out excess water? Or is the tank drilled? Depending on your misting levels you may need to siphon water out. It looks like the bottom drainage layer is sloped a bit, keep in mind the lowest point is your effective false bottom, so you may only have a half inch or so of water that you can house.

I will siphon with stiff/regular air hose line. Shallowest end is 2.5".

If you can put more branches in to access the upper portions of the viv that would give the frogs more space and more space for mounting broms too.

That is why I put in the ledges...more space. They are styrofoam that has been painted with nontoxic acrylic paint then 3 coats of nontoxic Modgepodge. Of course I read about it online. If it won't work tell me now.

What's your lid look like and how much ventilation have you provided?

Nice work!

Thanks for the pos comment. The lid will be 3" screen, 5.5" glass and 2/5 plastic backsplash. I will have an extra piece of glass to cover screen as needed.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Be careful with Modgepodge. I seem to remember that that stuff has a strong smell. Anything with a strong smell = bad for frogs. I've never heard of anyone using it. It may say 'non toxic' on the label but that's more for human concerns and not tiny frogs. Be careful with that stuff and check for 'smell' / fumes.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Very good start

Thanks Phil. And thanks to you and Jim for all the answers to my questions. I learned a lot from this site so thanks for the site! I really learned about viv size after all the stuff went into tank...it's darn small. You are right, vertical is the way to go.

Bromeliads are next on my list. This is one costly hobby of yours...er...ours.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Ok, it's planted. Mess cleaned up. Wine is poured. Feet up.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Where is a good place to buy unusual bromeliads?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm not a good source for infor on unusual broms. I take the other approach - I buy a dozen small, cheap broms and go for quantity. I think a uniform mass of dense broms looks really cool and highlights the frogs. That's just me, but an alternate approach. Check out:
http://www.neherpetoculture.com/bromeliads

But my favorite, Chiquita's, are sold out :(.

I'm sure you will get better advice from pum keepers :)

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks for the link Jim. I bought several broms from them. You are right the Chiquita is lovely.

If I use some of my house plants that are viv approved do I just knock the dirt off of them and plant in substrate? I never use anything for bugs because I don't have any, but I do fertilize.

I read somewhere that my aquarium plants are a no no to use. I just threw out a wad of java moss. I have several aquatic ferns that are shown for viv's.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Not sure what plants you have around the house, but most common houseplants are not really suitable for high humidity conditions. You can certainly try. The worst is that they don't take. You can knock the dirt off, yes. Probably bare root the plants and rinse really well. Some fertilizers could be hazardous if the frog comes in contact with it.

The easiest thing I would do, is to call around to local nurseries and plant shops and inquire about 'Terrarium Plants'. Almost all decent plant nurseries have numerous small plants that are cheap. Just be sure to ask about pesticide use ect.

I'd skip Lowes, Home Depot and Wally mart for plants. They pretty much suck and all their stuff has been sprayed with pesticides ect.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:01 am

Great Avatar pic ! Love it.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:38 am

Answer about using aquarium java moss? If I dip it in bleach solution? (If it survives.)

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:27 am

I don't see the harm in trying. I think most people have trouble with transitioning it from aquatic to terrestrial.

There are some slow growing small epiphytic ferns you might want to check out. Zach ("goods") advertises some interesting stuff now and again. I picked up some Davallia parvula from him and I am really happy with it. An old ad with pics:
viewtopic.php?t=9036

Gope

Postby Gope » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:49 am

Java moss, I just rinsed it and placed a few good sized clumps around the tank. Clumps dense enough to hold some moisture. I made an effort to keep it moist for a while until it took off. Now it's going wild. It looks quite different than submerged in the fish tank, lighter green and stringy. Not sure I'd use it again.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Gope wrote:Java moss, I just rinsed it and placed a few good sized clumps around the tank. Clumps dense enough to hold some moisture. I made an effort to keep it moist for a while until it took off. Now it's going wild. It looks quite different than submerged in the fish tank, lighter green and stringy. Not sure I'd use it again.

Like most plants, it will get thicker if you trim it. Keep it shaped up to how you want it to look. For instance, you could do a little froggy topiary:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlgercens/10320007306

I want pics if you do. :lol:

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:12 pm

Disaster. :( The wonderful rocks I made are rather soggy. :oops: So much for being artsy. I am going to have to redo the background. On the bright side (there's a bright side?) At least the plants haven't attached to anything and I can level my hydroballs.

Ask me what I'm doing for the next few day...sigh.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles! ....at least there were no critters in there that required catching :).

You can try other waterproofing options if you want to stick with foam - some folks use grout, and I did one foam background with tinted Drylok and pink foam sheets. It held up well for me, but I gave up on foam and moved to cork bark. Good luck!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Go organic. Scrap the foam ect.

Use corkbark - easy to get tons of different places and cheap.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”