froglets vs juveniles - price difference?

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

froglets vs juveniles - price difference?

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:34 pm

While out on line checking out prices for darts I have found a $ difference for froglets and juveniles. Is there a difference? At what age does a df go from froglet to juvie?

I know I have read this somewhere on this forum but at what age do serious frog breeders sell their frogs?

Thanks.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: froglets vs juveniles - price difference?

Postby Philsuma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:33 pm

Basically, the more time and effort that the breeder puts into the frogs - increase the price.

Pumilio should not be sold before 4-5 weeks.

Tincs and 'Tinc type' frogs can sometimes be sold in half that time / @ 3 weeks.

These are just MY PERSONAL opinions, mind you. Your question has a bit of plus/minus amongst most breeders.

Froglets = out of the water and fully strengthened / taking flies and other wise well started. Anywhere from right out of the water to a few weeks.

'Juveniles' = a few more weeks tacked onto a froglet. An unsexed animal. price is sometimes 50-100% more.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Thank you. That answer helps me a lot!

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:51 pm

I would say 5 to 6 months old for pumilio, from what I have seen in the darts for sale besides pumilio it's 3 to 4 months oow. IMO the older the better.
-Beth

goods

Postby goods » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

I agree with Beth in that I wouldn't sell any Oophaga froglets before 3 months at a minimum and ideally 6 months. There is just too much going on in their development to fully be confident the animal is strong before that time frame. I'd use the same time frame for the touchier Ranitomeya species as well.

I also wouldn't purchase any dart that wasn't at least 3 months old. In my opinion, if someone is selling weeks old froglets, they're just wanting to move animals/bring in cash and don't really care about raising up healthy offspring.
ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:10 pm

oh my yes, the longer the better to wait on pumilio. I was just trying to get a minimum starting point. There's really no debate and argument here. If you go to a show or meet and see a tiny tiny pumilio in a test tube - you'll know it's wrong.

The point being, the smaller they are, the quicker they will go down-hill if not provided with optimal care and diet. You can lose a small pumilio in 2-3 days !

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”