Springtail culture pest ?

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

Springtail culture pest ?

Postby Lanthia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm

I am using Josh's springtails in charcoal and his food. The culture is booming so I seeded my viv again yesterday. Today on the front of the fogged glass there are little winding trails all the way up to the top of the tank. There appear to be minute little oval shaped creatures causing the trails.

Can you please tell me what they are?

Thanks.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: springtail culture

Postby Philsuma » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Without a pic it is gonna be hard.

Mites are very common in springtail cultures. Mites are clear to whitish and indeed oval shaped. They are not fast but if you look carefully, you will most assuredly see them move about.

Another common pest in wet, soggy springtail cultures are small white worms.

Both pests seem to like more wet conditions and heavy feedings. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid them and one must either live with the infested culture and hope that it 'turns around' and the springtails dominate or get a new culture.

Observe the 'culprit' insects, preferably with a magnifying glass. Try for a good pic too.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: springtail culture pest ?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Lanthia

Re: springtail culture

Postby Lanthia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Philsuma wrote:Without a pic it is gonna be hard.

Mites are very common in springtail cultures. Mites are clear to whitish and indeed oval shaped. They are not fast.

Another common pest in wet, soggy springtail cultures are small white worms.

Both pests seem to like more wet conditions and heavy feedings. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid them and one must either live with the infested culture and hope that it 'turns around' and the springtails dominate or get a new culture.

Observe the 'culprit' insects, preferably with a magnifying glass. Try for a good pic too.

I pulled one out and used the mag glass. I still can't tell what it is other than oval. No legs that I can see. Didn't move on my finger. I can't see any of them in the culture itself.

What leaves a trail in the moisture on the glass? They are about the size of the tip of a straight pin.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:44 pm

How small would the worms be in a springtail culture?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Small, but def visible to the naked eye. The wet loving white worms tend to congregate on the charcoal when a lot of food is applied.

Hitchhikers and pests will appear in most feeder insect cultures. It's kinda like part of the hobby to deal with em'. Only a big deal if they take over and that rarely happens. They all tend to peter out over time. Just one of those things.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:27 pm

So I don't have to dump the culture?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Nope. Work with it 'till the wheels fall off'. If you do happen to notice a huge outbreak and then many days to even weeks later, it does not recover and it doesn't have any more springtails...THEN freeze it and discard it.

BUT...

In the mean-time, if a feeder insect culture is suspect, by all means keep in separate and not too close to others. Also do not use a 'suspect' culture for making new cultures.

In other words...never panic when one is faced with mite, worm or beetle. And if all else does indeed fail...then just order a couple new cultures or better yet, make friends with some hobbyists in Tulsa and trade ect.

No worries.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4277

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:48 pm

I have my lfs that get's their cultures from Josh's. So I avoid shipping.

Thanks again for all your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”