Frog update

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

Frog update

Postby Lanthia » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:51 pm

Rio brancos update. I just looked for froggies and they were both down in a leaf of one brom together. I did a double take! One on top of the other. I'm taking this as a good sign. Have I gotten lucky enough to get a pair? For what else should I be looking or listening?

Their coloring is changing so I am having a prob telling the difference between them. Their yellow parts are brighter. They look to be the right weight when I see them. So far I can't tell if one is the fatter like a female would be.

I am just glad they are both alive and doing well. I have about a jillion ffs. Not sure how to do this yet, I mean I have a lot so I need to get the numbers down to reasonable amount. I think I was worried not to have enough...

joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Frog update

Postby joneill809 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Have you heard any calling? I don't know pumilio but I assume their calls are consistent locale to locale. I think you'd know calling if you heard it. This was a neat video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWsYqk2gXg

I'm no expert on pumilio so I defer to others. Would be interested in seeing the color change if you can manage the photos. I know it's tough to snap pics of shy frogs ... glad things seem to be working out.

It's better to have an abundance of flies :). I've had unexpected crashes and dealt with overnighting cultures. Not fun. Alternatively you could get some big tincs or galacs and they will plow through whatever flies you have ;)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 pm

No calling and they are still shy.

I called the duller colored one Mugwump (after the mean Huron in "The Last Mohican". That probably isn't the right name but it works for me. It was just sorta a dull color.) So one is a bright yellow on black with a spot of yellow on his neck. My little Mugwump is becoming a brighter yellow in its coloring...but no neck dot. So they have morphed into Dot and No Dot.

The braver one, Dot, fed in front of me. I am pleased! They are still hanging out in the same brom.

So I sing all the time...not well mind you...just sing. Can frogs hear?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 am

It took many of my animals months to get to the point where they would tolerate me in the same room without darting for cover. I'm glad they are slowly coming out more frequently. They have ears - what exactly they hear - I have no idea.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Crazy! Crazy! Crazy! I was just moving a large plant that I over wintered inside to my porch. I was wrangling it off the water catcher bottom plate onto my dolly when I spotted a large spider...but...it was my orange rio branco dart frog that escaped a month ago!!! Don't you have a happy dance icon?

I grabbed it fast and put it into the viv. It looks fine. Not skinny at all. It may even be bigger. What the heck could it have been living on? I am so excited and happy.

I had just fed the viv with ff's so little orange fella may think he has gone to heaven. I hope the other two accept him

I'm going around singing, "Organges poranges. Who said? Who said there ain't no rhyme for orges? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDoSl-M5tmM
My son Jimmy and I used to watch this show. Loved that witch.) :D :D :D

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Lanthia wrote:Crazy! Crazy! Crazy! I was just moving a large plant that I over wintered inside to my porch. I was wrangling it off the water catcher bottom plate onto my dolly when I spotted a large spider...but...it was my orange rio branco dart frog that escaped a month ago!!! Don't you have a happy dance icon?

That is great! (and a great story)

Lanthia wrote:What the heck could it have been living on?

FF escapees? Maybe populations of local springtails in your plant substrate? How cool that it found a spot to eek out an existence. It deserves a cool name now...

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm

I for sure hope it finds a mate among the other two. That's some survival genes I want in my df's pool.

Cool name as soon as I know it's sex.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:16 pm

That's one fer the record books!

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:38 pm

The little orange frog was out today. It was on the brom in which I always find what I think of as the male of the two yellow and black frogs. The yellow "male" was down low looking up at his brom. Here's a blurry pic of the orange one. I have no smart phone. Only a dumb old dig camera.

I think it looks very good considering its wild adventure.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Like it never happened!

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Wed May 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Everyone is doing fine. Man these frogs can poop. Should I be cleaning it up?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed May 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Lanthia wrote:Everyone is doing fine. Man these frogs can poop. Should I be cleaning it up?

Nope, just use your sprayer and spray the poop off the plant leaves ect. It will hit the substrate and become wonderful fertilizer for the plants.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 pm

So I need like a power sprayer for clean up times?

My man friend keeps teasing me about my invisible frogs. I kicked him in the shins...not really...but I wanted to. He actually got to see one of them the other day. He said, "That's it? All your work and money? That's the frog?" I said, "Just wait." I hope I'm right. I have not done anything with the 75 gallon tank because I am waiting too.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Hah yeah it's always the azureus that get the oohs and aahs in my house. A hand held pressure sprayer or pump garden sprayer will do. I started with a hand held and as my Viv count went up up just picked up a large garden sprayer from HD. I flush my vivs every week or two.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sun May 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Good to know. It was getting pretty poopy in there.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun May 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Here is the Sprayer ya want. Only $10.00 or so at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot ect

100% effective vs poop!
sprayer.jpg
sprayer.jpg (3.44 KiB) Viewed 4381 times

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu May 26, 2016 8:10 pm

thanks. this is the kind of info we need to know.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”