Frog body language ?

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

Frog body language ?

Postby Lanthia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:53 pm

I am wondering if there are any body language guides for dart frogs. My one juvie is always out front of its hidey hole which is down in the leaf base of the largest brom. His head well up in a stiff stance. I am assuming this is an on alert posture. The other two seem less stiff.

So is this the behavior of the alpha male or a not so sure male. He has always done this...not just since the orange frog has been introduced.

Will only time give me clues to what the body language means or is there a general outline of bl?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: body language

Postby Philsuma » Sun May 01, 2016 12:17 pm

With pumilio there is a definite submissive posture. Its is flattened with head down.

Yes, time will tell. pumilio attain sexual maturity anywhere from 6 months to 10 months plus or minus either way. When Dart Frogs are sexually mature, you will see a LOT more and different behaviour.

Lanthia

Re: Frog body language ?

Postby Lanthia » Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Craig, from whom I got my dfs says 2-3 more months until sexual maturity. This is way worse than fish as far as waiting. Although, they sure are cute.

My BF finally saw one and said, "You paid how much for that?" I said, "Less than that last fancy goldfish...that died.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”