Oophaga pumilio
Oophaga speciosa
Oophaga sylvatica
Oophaga vicentei
Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Oophaga pumilio import and non site specific

Postby Philsuma » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 pm

We had Jason J's 'Freedom of Information Act' request that basically doubted Rich's site specific animals as well as his ability to transfer progeny from them.

This thread, in a nutshell, should basically illuminate how hard is for anyone to claim site specific dart frogs.

Not easy.

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Philsuma wrote:Please expound on that. Who was the importer - strictly ?

I would need to see those animals AND who got them, to finally judge if I (me) would consider them anywhere CLOSE to being 'site specific'.

Very skeptical (as always). heh

Via strictly, Shawn got most of the pairs from what I understand. Apparently several of the people who got pairs ended up losing animals one way or another. Obviously, that is a concern with a lot of the small importations sometimes going to newer hobbyists. I did see two pairs that looked like the pictures of las Tablas in the CvdL book. One in person. They look very similar to the spotted eldorado pair I have

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Again, just based on the usual Strictly importation, I for one would stay with 100% visual phenotypical identification, using the CvDL and other European photo guides. Still a FAR cry from 'site specific' in my book.

Heck even those Eldorados that you got from me, came from Ray and Mike and then Marcus and to further the point of hazardous identification methods - consider the ambiguous name label alone ! 'Eldorados'. heh

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Agreed, all the "site specific" info is questionable. But the fact that the sites match phenotypes is something. Most other animal hobbies have similar challenges. Look at all the GTP's for example. Not perfect, but they have seemed to get better than the days of the "eldorados"

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat May 14, 2016 1:44 pm

All I can say is with all the large obligate frogs taking hobby priority everyone better be really really careful with their pumilio collections. You don't see the large imports from Panama like ya did 4-5 years ago.

pumilio...it's the NEXT in demand frog!

Return to “Oophaga Genus”