Oophaga granulifera 'Portalone' aka Golden Grannie.

Oophaga arborea
Oophaga granulifera
Oophaga histrionica
Oophaga lehmanni
Oophaga occultator
Oophaga pumilio
Oophaga speciosa
Oophaga sylvatica
Oophaga vicentei
RichFrye

Re: Oophaga granulifera 'Portalone' aka Golden Grannie.

Postby RichFrye » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:03 am

morten müller wrote:Hallo Dartden

Very interesting post, but I wonder, I'm the only one that would like some more information Abt this variant is being farmbreed or not?, is it really true, and how can it be possible with the very strict restrictions from Costa Rica? have this locality also presence in Panama?

I have tried to search some more info about this rumor and was unable to verify that it is in progress....

Regards Morten Müller (Denmark)

Hi Morten,
This phenotype is not found anywhere near Panama or it's borders. It is found much farther north and west.
Costa Rica exports all types of frogs , but must approve all steps from collection to exporting and inspects along the way.
They do it right, which is why not all exports get approved. But, as mentioned a few times, there are now legal granny breeding programs under way.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Just dug this thread out again. I had a chance to see these frogs...'golden' in person. Found in much higher elevations.

goods

Postby goods » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:17 am

Were the frogs fairly uniform in their "golden" coloration (a definite population) or was there a gradation between the gold and some other color?
ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Hard to say. I guess I should qualify my statement above by saying I observed Brian K's captive breeding group only. Could indeed be an intergrade population but the high elevation is what is interesting. Since granulerfera are so 'common', Brian does not spend a lot of research time on them. That, and the distance from his facility.

Last bumped by Philsuma on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:00 pm.

Return to “Oophaga Genus”