Green Imitator aka "Nominate" Pics

R. abdita - R. altobueyensis - R. amazonica - R. biolat - R. bombetes - R. claudiae - R. cyanovittata - R. daleswansoni - R. defleri - R. dorisswansonae - R. duellmani - R. fantastica - R. flavovittata - R. fulgurita - R. ignea - R. imitator - R. intermedia - R. lamasi - R. minuta - R. opisthomelas - R. reticulata - R. rubrocephala - R. sirensis -R. summersi- R. tolimensis - R. uakarii - R. vanzolinii - R. variabilis - R. ventrimaculata - R. viridis - R. virolinensis - R. yavaricola
IDPM

Re: Green Imitator aka "Nominate" Pics

Postby IDPM » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 am

I had a 1.3 and they did fine together, was interesting though. As far as I know only the Dom female ever bred. The least dom female more or less stuck to herself, she wasn't reclusive at all, didn't run or shy away from the other frogs, just did her own thing. And then there was the surrogate.. this female would would visit any place where there was a tad and lay, or attempt to lay feeder eggs. Sometimes she would get away with it, other times the dom female would catch her in the act and chase her off. This was about the only form of aggression that I observed.
brad

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:01 am

My Imi vivs are min size exo @ 12x18 tall. I only keep pairs for a few reasons; 1) waste production, 2) territory, 3) escapee probability. Imi's like to hang out on the wet glass and usually near or on the door, so the more you have in single viv, the increased chance of an escapee. I have had it happen a few times, and while imi's are not as fast as benedicta, they are still quick and you risk injury. On waste: I clean the front glass everyone week, but leave the algae on sides as natural waste absorber. Two frogs can put off lots of waste, three in a smaller viv would be asking for trouble IMHO. Territory: Several months back I had not seen my male is 2 weeks and suspected the worst. So, I put another male in the viv and within 2 min, the other surfaced and they began to have a 20 brawl until I caught the foreign male and removed him back to his original tank. That being said, if you have a larger viv, maybe 30+ gal, I think a trio 1.2 would work, or even a 2.2 is possible w enough territory, as I have read comments and/or spoke w people who kept groups that felt there was no observed aggression. Personally, I think imi's shine better as a pair, since it is the observation of tad care that makes them such a great frog to keep.
Scott - North Dallas

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:17 pm

I am now the proud owner of a pair of Green Imitators......and 2 babies. Male called all the way back from brads and hasnt stopped yet.

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:26 pm

zachaustin wrote:I am now the proud owner of a pair of Green Imitators......and 2 babies. Male called all the way back from brads and hasnt stopped yet.

Very Nice Zack. You picked a great frog to work with, don't think you will have any regrets. Any pics of your new viv to share?
Scott - North Dallas

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Its on the first page, I rearranged it a little and added a few more cuttings though.

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Brad and Scott--Thanks for the comments/observations. Interesting stuff! I think I will just leave my 1.1 alone in their 12x18. it's working, so why fix it!? My grow out for their babies is another 12x18, right next door to the parents. Existing offspring is about full grown now, next froglet should be "coming out" any day now--popped his fronts a week ago, and is hanging out in his cannister now. New eggs back in their "cave",. so hopefully they will keep going.

Zach,
Congrats on your new frogs!

Thanks again for input everyone!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:29 am

DianeCarter wrote:Brad and Scott--Thanks for the comments/observations. Interesting stuff! I think I will just leave my 1.1 alone in their 12x18. it's working, so why fix it!? My grow out for their babies is another 12x18, right next door to the parents. Existing offspring is about full grown now, next froglet should be "coming out" any day now--popped his fronts a week ago, and is hanging out in his cannister now. New eggs back in their "cave",. so hopefully they will keep going.

Zach,
Congrats on your new frogs!

Thanks again for input everyone!
Diane

Hi Diane
Glad to help out and hear about your success w Imis :)
Scott - North Dallas

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 pm

YEA!!!
Attachments
Image.jpg

IDPM

Postby IDPM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Somebody is all excited, just not sure if it's the frog or the poster.
brad

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Prolly not the frog, she has been hounded since I got them!

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Came home today to a nice surprise, daddy frog had a tadpole on his back!

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 pm

zachaustin wrote:Came home today to a nice surprise, daddy frog had a tadpole on his back!

Your showing early signs of being a frog whisperer :wink:
Scott - North Dallas

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Lol, with all the film cans the tad had to end up in a brom..... :( But, found two more eggs earlier... So I guess that makes up for it!

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Just counted and i have 6 maybe 7 tads in the tank.....plus the 4 in the grow out. What did i get myself into?

IDPM

Postby IDPM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Haha...can't say that you weren't warned!
brad

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Jebus! i hope i dont just end up with s room full on nominals! Give aways may start...

Frogopolis

Postby Frogopolis » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:37 pm

RanaVenenosa wrote:Prolific :D and one of my fav frogs as you can see them almost all the time.

I agree. I have two pairs and they are out and about all the time. I used to have Varadero and although they were hardy and produced offspring, I hardly ever saw them.
Last edited by Frogopolis on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zachaustin

Postby zachaustin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Ended up selling the parents to a sweet gal in houston, but the remaining 5 are now blossoming in the 18x24 that i set up. Resently upped misting and feeding....eggs everywhere.

Djpaulys

Re: Green Imitator aka

Postby Djpaulys » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Anyone have some for sale?

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Frogopolis

Re: Green Imitator aka

Postby Frogopolis » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Djpaulys wrote:Anyone have some for sale?

I have at least 20 tadpoles I'm raising up right now along with 3 froglets that just came out of the water but they won't be ready to sell till at least the end of February. I will also have lots of Chazuta and Iquitos ready at the same time.

Return to “Ranitomeya Genus”