Dendrobates auratus
Dendrobates azureus
Dendrobates leucomelas
Dendrobates tinctorius
Dendrobates truncatus
RanaVenenosa

Re: Dendrobates truncatus Photo Journal

Postby RanaVenenosa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Here are some photos of my blue Truncatus. Apologize in advance for poor quality. I cant open the viv wout them dashing for cover. These pics were taken through glass without a flash using a cheap camera. I will try and get some better pics after Christmas. Anyway the color is very close to what you see under 6500k range daylight.
Attachments
HPIM2878.JPG
Blue Truncatus pic
HPIM2873.JPG
misc blue Trunc
HPIM2881.JPG
Belly shot of mega large female - goliath Trunc
HPIM2871.JPG
blue Truncatus
Scott - North Dallas

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 pm

One thing special I noticed about Truncatus is the color of their pinstripes changes depending on the angle you view them. For example, the Blue Truncatus appears blue when viewed from the side, however as you change the angle to overhead, the color changes to green. Since the legs and sides are never viewed from the same angle, you tend to get a combo effect with a mix of turquoise. The yellow Truncs display this same phenomenon, however the color change moves from bright lemon yellow from a side view to electric orange when viewed from above. The overall effect comes off as a "golden" aura since all the strips tend to show some variation from each other from any given angle as with the blue morph. The base body color is jet black for both morphs.
Scott - North Dallas

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:16 pm

P. Vitattus and H .azureventris both seem to "change colour" as well....

Gnarly

Dendrobates truncatus Photo Journal

Postby Gnarly » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Philsuma wrote:P. Vitattus and H .azureventris both seem to "change colour" as well....

I've had this experience with azureiventris myself.
The Trucatus are gorgeous. Keep the pictures coming!!

fieldsmith

Postby fieldsmith » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Here is my youngest one...who is also the boldest (i.e. I've seen it out twice haha).
Attachments
002edit.jpg
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Gnarly wrote:
Philsuma wrote:P. Vitattus and H .azureventris both seem to "change colour" as well....

I would love to see a photo journal started on the Azureiventris - if your up for taking the time... any pics and experience you have would be a great benefit to others. Actually, that is one frog I have not seen in person.

-Scott
Scott - North Dallas

Gnarly

Dendrobates truncatus Photo Journal

Postby Gnarly » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 pm

RanaVenenosa wrote:
Gnarly wrote:

I would love to see a photo journal started on the Azureiventris - if your up for taking the time... any pics and experience you have would be a great benefit to others. Actually, that is one frog I have not seen in person.

-Scott

I would be happy to. They were my first frog and I think they are generally under appreciated.
I will start a thread.

fieldsmith

Postby fieldsmith » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Heres another one:
Attachments
001edit.jpg
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Hey Field
Glad to see the blue truncs are growing nice and maybe a bit more willing to show themselves. My group is acclimating well, although they are definitely more shy than the yellow. I snapped a few more pics. I just need to resize then I will post and share. I have not heard any calling from my blue Truncs, although one female was doing some hand waving.

Some other potential good news: If all goes well, I plan to visit Colombia in May-Jun time frame. Need to visit Mother in law and ext family. I will be 8 hrs from Santa Marta (and Tayrona National park) Wife is game to spend a few days hiking in the rain forest w a guide. Hoping to see the Truncs in natural habitat. I will be visiting during the wet season, which improves my chances, however makes travel a pain in the arse.

Scott
Scott - North Dallas

fieldsmith

Postby fieldsmith » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Awesome Scott, hope you find lots. Definitely take some rain gear!
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Here is a nice pic of an adult blue Truncatus. The blue Truncs generally scatter when I open the viv so its difficult to snap a pic wout glass in between. I have found these frogs to be more shy than the yellow, although if undisturbed, they are generally active most of the day, particularly in the early AM and later evening hours. These frogs are very social and tend to congregate in groups, but will fan out after a release of FFs.
Attachments
Blue Truncatus01.jpg
Scott - North Dallas

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Journal Update:

No calling from the Blue Truncs, but I have seen some classic mating behavior from the females. These frogs are still growing. They seem much larger than the Yellow morph, although that could be coincidence with my animals.

The Yellow Truncs are a little older and have given me a few bad batches of eggs, but last week I finally got some tads, although they didn't last but a few days. They looked "small' compared to the clutch that is forming as I write. I was anticipating this since the frogs just recently came into maturity. I will work on getting pics as the opportunity arises.

Chao
Scott
Scott - North Dallas

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 am

Finally, I have verified calling from my Blue Truncatus group (after almost 2 yrs). I pulled two frogs out of the group and put 4 into a rebuilt 29 vert. Just the chaos needed to awaken a male. He was going ape, calling and chasing all the other frogs for at least the first 1-4 hours. The next day he was more calm, but has definitely est himself as alpha frog. I have huts and films placed in hopes of providing adequate egg laying spots. Having discovered how well the yellow Truncs can climb, my experiment to put the blue into a vert style seems to be working. The frogs spend a better part of the day forging and there is no where they cannot go. They stick to the glass the same as the Imitator. In the morning it is not unusual to find all 4 basking on the rocks with an occasional plunge into the water. (The front of the viv is flooded with the base below water level). This will serve as the tad depot. There is no pump for the water feature. I use a false bottom that is filled with clay pellets as a bio filter. In my opinion this is an absolute must to keep odor eliminated and promote anaerobic bacteria.
Scott - North Dallas

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:34 am

Great thread / documentation on an uncommonly kept frog. Thanks Scott !

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks Phil,

As we speak, the male and (frog I nick named "gargantus") are courting. The blue Trunc exhibits the same classic ritual as the yellow morph. Chasing, followed by petting, RR on the cocohut roof, more petting, then some cat n mouse chasing. If one of the other females or probable males try to intervene the ritual, the male will defend his area and female. Although, if a 3rd party is just a quick passer by, they are ignored. If no ritual is in progress, then all frogs tend to hang out on friendly terms. When FFs are put into the viv, then it become frog vs insect. The stomach trumps all other emotions and distractions.
Scott - North Dallas

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Congrats, Scott, on the calling! Next up, lots of eggs!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 am

Nice work Scott. I really enjoy seeing long running threads like this - shows true dedication to the hobby! Nice work.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:38 am

Ok, Pic of the 29vert. So far frogs seem to take advantage of vertical space. Not uncommon to find them roosting in a brom axial or perched on a ledge. Also should comment that after the frenzy of my male last week, he disappeared w the female for a good 24 hours. Hoping eggs are somewhere in the viv.
Attachments
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG (145.54 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG (153.86 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Scott - North Dallas

Return to “Dendrobates Genus”