Postby DKOOISTRA » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:41 pm

I've never heard of those?
Can u post some pics?
Derek
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs

fieldsmith

Re: Blue Foot Leucs anywhere ?

Postby fieldsmith » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 pm

The last ones sean stew brought in or the older imports?
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

Armson

Postby Armson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 pm

I didn't think anyone had the older imports.

Not the best pic but only one I got at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_1509.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg (283.16 KiB) Viewed 1940 times

gladiatorsgi

Postby gladiatorsgi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Do you mean the green foot 1995 import?
Steve - Austin TX. - D. Leucomelas, D. Azureus, R. Variabilis

gladiatorsgi

Postby gladiatorsgi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:12 pm

I was always convinced my Leucs were the 1995 (green foot) import but never a 100% positive.
Attachments
IMG_1370.jpg

gladiatorsgi

Postby gladiatorsgi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Very faint green here.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.14.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.14.24 PM.png (364.23 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Armson

Postby Armson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Here is the juv bluefoot 4 weeks oow
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

gladiatorsgi

Postby gladiatorsgi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Armson wrote:Here is the juv bluefoot 4 weeks oow

Wow, these are definitely blue, didn't know they exist :roll:

rcteem

Postby rcteem » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Don't let him fool y'all, those are his hybrids. He came over bragging about it lol j/k. Looks like now there is more than one breeder of blue foots in the US!! ;) Congrats man!!!

gladiatorsgi

Postby gladiatorsgi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 pm

rcteem wrote:Don't let him fool y'all, those are his hybrids. He came over bragging about it lol j/k. Looks like now there is more than one breeder of blue foots in the US!! ;) Congrats man!!!

haha, good stuff. Anyhow, I guess I'll downgrade mine back to Nominant "w/green feet". cheers

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm

So Byron....you HAVE blue-foot Leucs ?

Armson

Postby Armson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:37 am

I do, They are from the original import (Sean Stewart). from the information I have there aren't many from that shipment left. John P has had great success with breeding his European imports. I on the other hand have not.

They seem to do great but just stall at 4 months and then wither away. After talking with a few people, I have a new plan of attack and will hopefully get them going in the near future.

Well since I am at work and just had a Double shot of espresso.....I am chatty.

In the past few years of my frog keeping I was turning out a great deal of froglets, but have stalled greatly in the past year. Even my most prolific frogs have completely stopped producing. Now I know I haven't exactly been the best frog keeper as I have switched jobs and don't spend nearly the amount of time with them that I once did, but my future plans to automate, will cut down drastically on the time required by my frogs.

Problem 1
Micro fauna - You don't have enough.
I have some beautiful Red frog beach Bastis that have been a huge thorn in my side. I could simply not keep weight on them. I would feed dusted FFs constantly and they seemed to just get skinnier. After speaking with a few people, I decided to try an over abundance of springtails. I built three 10 gallon leaf litter based springtail cultures (pink, white, and some other type). I waited till they were booming and dropped the frogs in.

After about a 1-2 weeks, I looked and immediately called Jenny Craig, weight watchers and slimfast. My borderline dead frogs were now just rolling around the tank instead of hopping. They not only put on a good amount of weight but they have kept it for more than a few months. They also completely cleared the culture.

After seeing this, I went through all of my vivs and did a micro fauna check. While micro fauna was present it wasn't up to my standards. So I started rotating Vivs. (No cross contamination or mixing). I would make more 10 gallon "cultures" and then rotate frogs between their viv and the culture.

Problem 2
Misting and heat

I was slacking... work was taking up way to much time. This is going to be automated. Manual misting sucks and a PITA when you have a ton of vivs.

Problem 3
Supplements

I came up with a much more varied schedule to make sure the frogs get the most bag for the buck. I rotate feedings so they never get the same supplement twice in a row. This feeding I use dendrocare to dust, next feeding it will be repashy, after that repcal, etc.

Problem 4
fruit flies

With all the different media out there it's hard to choose one, so I choose them all. I now rotate my media. This batch will be made with Repashy. next batch will be Tincman after that Josh's. Sometimes I will just use all 3 in one batch.

Ok, work is starting to kick up and I have to go. No time to proof read my post.

-B

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 am

I'm trying to get a handle on approximate numbers of hobbyists keeping these - both E.U imports. Does anyone think that one import or the other has 'better' blue feet ?

I'm not a big fan of trying to use Springtails in leu of small fruit flies anytime other than for tiny pumilio froglets. I still think that dusted small FF's is so important.

As to your dusting regime comments and others, I'll try to post/bump relevant threads on those specific topics so we can keep all the information in one or two easy to find threads.

Armson

Postby Armson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:41 pm

Philsuma wrote:I'm trying to get a handle on approximate numbers of hobbyists keeping these - both E.U imports. Does anyone think that one import or the other has 'better' blue feet ?

I'm not a big fan of trying to use Springtails in leu of small fruit flies anytime other than for tiny pumilio froglets. I still think that dusted small FF's is so important.

As to your dusting regime comments and others, I'll try to post/bump relevant threads on those specific topics so we can keep all the information in one or two easy to find threads.

I wasn't clear about the springtail idea. I use them and still feed FFs. I try to get them on dusted flies as much as possible.

-Byron

Return to “Dendrobates Genus”