Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Any other photos or pics not Dart Frog related.
hutch0203
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm
Location: central illinois

Re: Veiled Chameleons in Florida ?

Postby hutch0203 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:16 am

Philsuma wrote:
hutch0203 wrote:Last time I vacationed in Florida we had a Tokay freaking barking in our room! Could not catch that little bastard for nothing! Lol!


Based on that particular species....I'll guess that you were either in Tampa (large amount of Tokays near port areas and surrounding residences and even warehouse areas)

or

SouthEast Florida - Miami area.

OR

My top guess - The Keys.


Your top guess was correct. We stayed in Key west. Tokays in the hotel and Chickens in the streets! lol!
Garrick H.

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am

Bumping this for new member JimO.

His son just caught a curley tail and now wants a veiled cham.

The Chams are near / around private property, need to be found at night with lights (body "shine")....so.....they are MUCH harder to get than most other FL invasives.

fieldsmith
Posts: 456
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: Cumming, Ga

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby fieldsmith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey Phil,
What invasive treefrogs have you seen down in FL (other than the well-documented ones)?
Got a chance to do a some field-herping in some canals around Deltona when I was younger and was very surprised at the diversity down there.
Thanks in advance,
Field
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:07 pm

There are def White's tree frogs in a couple locations. Lee Co even !

There is SO much stuff in SoFl - Miami area, it would make your head spin. Some animals will never be verified and "in print" in some paper - Journal of herpetological review for years, but trust me....there are representatives of a lot of different frogs down there.

Like Coqui's ? :evil:

fieldsmith
Posts: 456
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: Cumming, Ga

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby fieldsmith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Gotta love the coqui call! I was asking because my uncle (who was a zoo vet for many years) told me a story about catching a frog that he believed was a type of glass frog. His focus was mainly mammals, especially big cats, but he did have some exposure to herps. I was just wondering if you had heard any similar stories.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:34 pm

fieldsmith wrote:Gotta love the coqui call!


lol....if you say that to some homeowners near the waterways, they will shoot you. Those frogs are LOUD and when you get a bunch together breeding. It's deafening.

fieldsmith
Posts: 456
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: Cumming, Ga

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby fieldsmith » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Haha...yeah I guess the sarcasm didn't translate well with text. I've heard all about how much they love them in Hawaii as well.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

Bill Schwinn
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: pinellas park,florida

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Bill Schwinn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

FYI, I know a hunter who is now catching Veileds, Oustaleti, and some Panther chameleons. Sure beats Brown Anoles.

User avatar
JJuchems
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 am
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby JJuchems » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Have they been shot at? I have heard a report of people firing at people trying to collect Veilds.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

Bill Schwinn
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: pinellas park,florida

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Bill Schwinn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm

From what he says yes, and beleives it is automatic fire. He has had several close calls.

User avatar
JJuchems
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 am
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby JJuchems » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 pm

That is what I have heard. I also heard that "a someone" collecting and photographing had their car shot by gun fire. It is putting a lot of support that the chameleons where intentionally released to create a place to field collect for the pet trade.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Bill Schwinn wrote:From what he says yes, and believes it is automatic fire. He has had several close calls.


lol...that cricket farmer is armed and dangerous ! I aksed his permission to take a few one day and he was pretty rude. He does seem like the shotgun type.

User avatar
JJuchems
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 am
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby JJuchems » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Philsuma wrote:
Bill Schwinn wrote:From what he says yes, and believes it is automatic fire. He has had several close calls.


lol...that cricket farmer is armed and dangerous ! I aksed his permission to take a few one day and he was pretty rude. He does seem like the shotgun type.



Good cover for other illegal activity.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:46 pm

JJuchems wrote:
Philsuma wrote:
Bill Schwinn wrote:From what he says yes, and believes it is automatic fire. He has had several close calls.


lol...that cricket farmer is armed and dangerous ! I aksed his permission to take a few one day and he was pretty rude. He does seem like the shotgun type.



Good cover for other illegal activity.


Indeed...

Bill Schwinn
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: pinellas park,florida

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Bill Schwinn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:58 pm

I get my Crickets from that Farm. The owner in question has sold the farm to a new person last year.Try and understand from his viewpoint what he went through, 100s of collectors trespassing on his private property every week, he did have a family there and is a private person. Bill Love apparently put the GPS to the cricket farm in a book to tell people where to hunt, so he on several occasions had Herp Society Tours arrive in convoys to hunt on his yard! Not a justification but you must agree it would be hard to live with, and he also had a Herp collection on the property in danger of being stolen, some quite expensive. From what I hear there is an older man who is the shooter, Law Enforcement is trying to catch him in the act. I ask , why hunt on private property and expect no problems, sounds dumb!

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 am

Bill Schwinn wrote:I get my Crickets from that Farm. The owner in question has sold the farm to a new person last year.Try and understand from his viewpoint what he went through, 100s of collectors trespassing on his private property every week, he did have a family there and is a private person. Bill Love apparently put the GPS to the cricket farm in a book to tell people where to hunt, so he on several occasions had Herp Society Tours arrive in convoys to hunt on his yard! Not a justification but you must agree it would be hard to live with, and he also had a Herp collection on the property in danger of being stolen, some quite expensive. From what I hear there is an older man who is the shooter, Law Enforcement is trying to catch him in the act. I ask , why hunt on private property and expect no problems, sounds dumb!


Wow...you go all the way down there for crix ? Not literally drive down there, obviously.Aren't there any farms closer to you Bill ?

Have you ever been down there ? I have a couple times. I can't speak for everyone else, but the times I was down there, we only went near the tree's lining the main road near the drainage ditches. Now I admit, that maybe that could be private property but at no time did we cross any fences or onto any yards.

As to the hundreds of people...yes...no doubt, but please don't blame Bill Love. He would pass info onto to select people but only by way of mouth. I would need to see proof of his putting stuff like that in print to believe it. Field herp.com was probably much more responsible for that GPS info getting passed around than Bill ever was.

Bill Schwinn
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: pinellas park,florida

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Bill Schwinn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 am

Philsuma wrote:
Bill Schwinn wrote:I get my Crickets from that Farm. The owner in question has sold the farm to a new person last year.Try and understand from his viewpoint what he went through, 100s of collectors trespassing on his private property every week, he did have a family there and is a private person. Bill Love apparently put the GPS to the cricket farm in a book to tell people where to hunt, so he on several occasions had Herp Society Tours arrive in convoys to hunt on his yard! Not a justification but you must agree it would be hard to live with, and he also had a Herp collection on the property in danger of being stolen, some quite expensive. From what I hear there is an older man who is the shooter, Law Enforcement is trying to catch him in the act. I ask , why hunt on private property and expect no problems, sounds dumb!


Wow...you go all the way down there for crix ? Not literally drive down there, obviously.Aren't there any farms closer to you Bill ?

Have you ever been down there ? I have a couple times. I can't speak for everyone else, but the times I was down there, we only went near the tree's lining the main road near the drainage ditches. Now I admit, that maybe that could be private property but at no time did we cross and fences or onto any yards.

As to the hundreds of people...yes...no doubt, but please don't blame Bill Love. He would pass info onto to select people but only by way of mouth. I would need to see proof of his putting stuff like that in print to believe it. Field herp.com was probably much more responsible for that GPS info getting passed around than Bill ever was.



Crix get mailed, takes 2 days. Mike Stuhlman was the owner, a very truthful person, he actualy told me the name of the publication. I would say to you try to contact him in South Florida and ask him.

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Philsuma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:31 am

Ok..I'll follow up on that. Bill has moved out West with Cathy.

Bill Schwinn
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: pinellas park,florida

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby Bill Schwinn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 am

I know Bill and Kathy have moved, I meant look up Mike Stuhlman.

User avatar
EntoCraig
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:19 am
Location: UT, USA

Re: Veiled Chameleons other invasives in Florida ?

Postby EntoCraig » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Awesome! I would have loved to see some of these when I was down there... There are Mediterranean geckos all over the place...


Return to “Other Misc Photographs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests