It's possible my cultures have not been setup for long enough, but I have a Orange and Giant Canyons culturing for about 5 months in sterilite shoeboxes with drilled 1" vent holes covered with filter paper hot glued to the lid. I saw this on a forum post somewhere (can't remember where) so I figured I would give it a go. Here's what they look like:
The filter paper has held up well so I have not had to change it out yet. I open the lids about once a week. No observed escapees
I used a similar concept for the tops to the storage bins I use for storing my FF cultures. I don't want the kids getting near the mite paper, so I keep the cultures buttoned up in an opaque storage bin with a vented top. This has worked out well too. No FF crashes, but I do open these bins daily.