- 2 x 18" Exoterra 2 socket fixtures
- 2 x 9W JungleDawn LED screw in lamps
- 1 x 13W JungleDawn LED screw in lamp
- 1 x Repti Sun 26 Watt 10.0 CFL (10.0 was used due to the limited size of the holes in the top, the use of extra screening for fly proofing, and the depth of the viv)
- 1 x blue LED strip lighting kit
- 2 x Stanley 38245 TImerMax digital timers
My original configuration just had the two Exo fixtures laying side by side on top of the viv. They were relatively loose and moved around on the 1" wooden strips I used to elevate them off the top of the viv. The 6500K CFL's I was using did run pretty hot. Since we're in the middle of the Texas summer, I figured I'd jump into LED lamps.
First up, Todd's great suggestions - remove the reflectors from the Exo hoods to improve air flow (he admitted this was an idea provided to him from another hobbyist, but it was great that he passed this along) and reduce temperatures. The second was to use sand paper to rough up my Lexan top to hide the bulbs, soften the light, and act as a diffuser.
Here's the hood. Since this picture was taken I have installed an IR dimmer controller in the rear of the hood on the left (velcro). I didn't want to permanently drill into these hoods, but I also did not like how they slid around on top of my Zoomed. I ended up running 3 strips of 1" velco down the middle of the two fixtures, sticking them together. The solution is much more stable, and if I ever want to break them apart again I can remove the velcro and clean up the glue remnants.
I had 5 x 2" air vents along the front of the viv. I had the hole cutter from a different project, so I figured I would experiment with round vents. There are probably easier venting strategies, but this seemed cool in theory...but my silicone job is pretty bad (but it does the job) so to me it looks a bit sloppy.
I'll have another set of photos of the hood fan mods once they come in. I'm experimenting with some quiet 80 mm PC fans on my speed controllers installed in the newly opened up rear vents in the hoods. I'm going to exhaust the hood air out the back and see how that does controlling the temperature within the hood. My goal is to drop the top back flush with the viv and eliminate the need for my rickety 1" wood stand offs. I hope to get some air flow across the front door of the viv with these fans installed as well.
Todd also recommended adding a third timer, separating the two hoods on two cycles. The intent is to better simulate morning (2 bulbs), mid-day (all 4 bulbs) and evening (2 bulbs) sun. I have an extra timer, so I'll give that a go as well.
I'll post FTS next. And a big thanks to Todd @ LYR for all these great tips!