Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AHH! HELP ME!
so i set up my first tank and it has been ok but Im not sure if it was ok for frogs. i thought of some new ideas and here it is, i was thinking about doing a water fall filter system with cork at the back,this will lead thru a little river like thing made out of pebbles, leading into a little pond thing, on the sides of this, there will be a planted area, i want to use coconut fiber as the sub strate but am not sure as to wether the plants would be ok with that. also i would have a small uth. so my questions are: the waterfall system i want has a screen to seperate the substrat and water reserve, will the water fall thru the pebbles into the reserve before it gets to the pond? what substrate will be appropriat? also, should i put the uth under the water pond area or plants?
You will not need a uth.
By the description you gave of the stream I would say most likley water would not make it to the pond. You will need to create a steam bed. Cork, pondliners, or plastic then doctor it up with your peebles. How large will this viv be for accomadating these thingies?

When I build water falls and ponds. I make the water feature run below the water table line so everthing runs naturally without containment issues.

Lots of these basic viv plants can be grown hydroponically as well.

I always wondered about giving this a go.
http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery2/mai ... temId=3360
k thanks i got it. also do you know if i can put a african dwarf aquatic frog in the pool as well as the pdf's? the guy at the pet store said it should be fine but im just double checking.
dartboyofoly Wrote:do you know if i can put a african dwarf aquatic frog in the pool as well as the pdf's?
Don't do it.
Yes, guys in pet shops want to sell you more animals.

Listen to Cindy.

I've notice many new people want "the tropical fish tank experience". How many different animals can I put in my terrarium. I too did it many years ago in my first pauldarium.

The rule is 1 frog for every 5-10 gallons ( species specific&morph specific have variations on quanity to be kept together). This is where your quest begins. What frog do I want, how big of an environment can I provide?
ok, thanxs i just thought that it would be ok because i would have a aquatic and terrestrial frog and i didnt think that they would clash in any way, im i like totally wrong?
I have terrestrial frogs and they sometimes go in the pool. Just the presence of another frog could stress them out. Plus if they put any tadpoles in the pool, the aquatic frog would eat them. Don't count on advice from petstore employees. Do your own research. It would be rare to find one who really knew what they were talking about with regard to PDFs. They are in the business of selling animals and everything to go with them. Fran
I have terrestrial frogs and they sometimes go in the pool. Just the presence of another frog could stress them out. Plus if they put any tadpoles in the pool, the aquatic frog would eat them. Don't count on advice from petstore employees. Do your own research. It would be rare to find one who really knew what they were talking about with regard to PDFs. They are in the business of selling animals and everything to go with them. Fran
ok, Well this is my first pdf tank and i was wondering if i could have a male and female in the same tank or if i should wait until i am more experienced.
Yes you can. Probable pairs and proven pairs just tend to be more expensive than froglets.
ok, i am just worried about getting way over my head and have a whole lot of froglets. are they hard to keep?
You don't have too have too many froglets. You can destroy the eggs until you feel more comfortable. IME it's not hard to care for froglets.
ok sweet! Big Grin

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020