Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are any PDFs nocturnal?
Hi All-
I know PDFs are diurnal, at least everything I have ever read says so. I have a proven pair of R Imitator Cainarachi Valley which I bought last summer, they had reproduced twice successfully for their previous keeper. They have reproduced for me 3 times now. They appear happy and healthy, they eat well, and like I said they are reproducing--just transported a tad 2 nights ago Smile
The reason I am writing is, they certainly appear to be nocturnal, which I have never heard of with darts. Anyone else have experience with nocturnal darts?
As an aside, their offspring are diurnal. Just these 2 parents are in their cave chilling all day, come out and do their business at night, anywhere from 8PM-5AM. Their lights go on in the morning, off in the evening.
Any experience with this?
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
You might want to check your lighting. Could be too bright for them. I have frogs that call at night every so often but they aren't really active
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'll change to a less bright light and see if that helps.
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
also to be safe you might want to check the temp as well
I've had Leucs call @ midnight and 3am sometimes, but I wonder if their calling wasn't in direct response to the backlighting or room lights that I turned on when I was doing stuff in the frog room?

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around....does it make a sound ? Heh

Time for someone to do a video / audio record of 24 or 48 hours, and see just what those little guys are up to.

But to answer your questions, IMO, no...Dart Frogs are diurnal and should not be active / making noise at night / dark.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:...

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around....does it make a sound ? Heh

If a tree falls in the woods and there is nothing there to hear it, no, there is no sound. Only sound waves. We perceive sound waves as sound with our ears.
No ears, no sound.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
jeffr Wrote:You might want to check your lighting. Could be too bright for them...

Good advice. Turning down the lights on a lot of vivs would help.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
My Vanzo viv is only about 6 feet from my TV. They will call every once in a while late at night. A few weeks ago I was watching Jurrasic Park at like 2:00 in the morning. The sounds the dinosaur that ate Newman (Seinfeld) made had my males going nuts
ha! Vanzos listening to Jurassic park, that's awesome!
Temps are good--upper 60s at night, 70-75 during the day. I keep the humidity at 85-95%. The light fixture is the same as the lights on all my other vivs, and none of the others are up at night. Maybe imis are more susceptible to light?!
Phil, you make a good point about if the room lights are on, maybe I am waking them up, or keeping them up. My work schedule is such that I usually get home around 3AM and go into the den to get on the computer for an hour or two to wind down, and they are in the den. I suppose I could be waking them up. This is when I hear the male calling like crazy, and go over to see what's up. This is how I got lucky enough this past Sunday night, to witness the dad transporting a tad! I last saw him do that back in August. So totally cool!!!
I think I will just switch to a less bright light, and see if they just had too much light for their imitator comfort. My other imitators (their young offspring) don't have this problem (in their own separate grow-out tank, but same lilghting), but there could probably be individual differences.
Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions!
Diane
If I have music on, my Varadero tend to call at any time of the day or night (especially before lights on or right before lights off). I figure they like to sing along.
Mostly Pums & Thumbs
I feel like this is a "DUH!" moment! I get home from work at 3am. The dogs go nuts barking and carrying on for a few moments, wake up the whole house. I turn on the light in the den, sit at the computer, and do my thing. The imitators wake up, think it's time to do their thing.
Just like people, frogs must have their own circadian rhythms, right? My imi's just happen to be lighter sleepers than my azureus, leucomelas, and auratus I guess. Makes sense.
Thanks, all! They are doing well, reproducing, etc, so no worries. Thanks again.
Diane
Hi Diane, I say for sure you are waking them with your last comment. If they are in your den, where you come into at 3am and their lights have been off for hours then you are turning lights on around them, this could for sure be the reasoning for them waking. Frogs certainly have their own circadian rhythms, and just like us humans if these are interrupted it can lead to distress I would imagine. Even though they are "happy" and breeding, they could be under some stress. I would recommend trying to limit the amount of light near the frogs in their night time. Possibly blocking them off with black cloth or some other light barrier would help limit the light into their area if you must use light in their room in the night time hours. Just my .02 I hope it can be of assistance.
Dustin Y.
Also, think of it this way. If you have been asleep for hours, and suddenly someone turns your bedroom lights on and it wakes you, this breaks your rhythm of sleep; If this happens every day you can imagine that it would cause some distress to your body resulting in poorer health possibly for lack of quality sleep. Just thinking out loud here.
Dustin Y.
Dustin,
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts very much! I agree I wasn't being my frog's best friends here when I was just coming home and turning lights on, helter skelter. I appreciate your input very much.
Diane

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020