Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comments on my New Viv wanted
So i didnt like how my first setup turned out. was not enough room for the frogs so i made a new one. finished it this morning. introduced the froggs to it tonight when i got home from work. they seem to like it. they found a nice little hiding spot. you can only see one in the pic but there is 2 in there haha

What do you guys think???

[Image: DSC00547.jpg]
[Image: DSC00548.jpg]
[Image: DSC00549.jpg]
[Image: DSC00550.jpg]
[Image: DSC00554.jpg]
Gabby

The fact that they found a nice hiding spot is not a cute thing, they are probably freaking out due to lack of hiding spots. As for the tank it is was too small for any frog , specially an azureus which is mid size. The spagnum moss is not the right substrate and will not give any benefit to the frog a.e. micro fauna. I would rethink your strategy and take out that water feature, these are not aquatic frogs but jungle frogs and do not require 25% of their habitat loss for a pool . I applaud you for trying to give them more room, how about a 20 gallon and not a 10 ?
Froglet.

The moss is the exo terra moss. http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/forest_moss.php im not sure on what kind it is but i guess ill have to do more research on it. didnt realize it was no good.

as for the water i realize they are not aquatic frogs but there is not much water that they can go into. they have been on the waterfall a few times now that ive seen. i think they explored the whole tank. your right on they were freaking out but probably from beeing moved from one tank to another to another cause i needed the pump that was in the other tank for this one. they are all over the place now. i monitored them last night and all this morning and they are all over the tank and found a few more hiding spots.

as for the tank size this is temporarry for a month. my father is making me a stand for my reptiles with 3 tanks in it. the one for the frogs is going to be around 25 gallon. 24"W x 18"D x 18" H.
Do you have a cover for the tank? They can and will climb the glass and escape.
Gabby

The issue with the waterfall is that the tank is wet 24/7 and darts do require dry spots to hang out on..... they can not be wet all the time . I am also looking at that tank and it looks like a mesh screen top tank which is also no need for them, you need to keep humidity up.

Make sure in your 25 gallon tank you add lots of leaf litter , more spots to hide and of course take out that silly waterfall =) .... the frogs and I will thank you ..

enjoy them, they are beautiful

Damian
allright, so keep some dry spots.

and by the screen top you mean that it lets the humidity out right. the new tank is going to be closd with a ew ventilation holes. so that one is covered.

im not sure what you mean by the leaf litter though.

for the waterfall i thought it was a nice feature but i guess its better when you have a long tank and not a small or tall one like i do.
In the wild the frogs live in jungle/rainforest areas where the leafs from trees are seen all over the floor .. not only do leaves create a more natural look but they also allow for hiding spots for the frogs and places for microfauna to grow.
so more plants then. gotchya

as for the substrate what do you recommend?

thanks for all your tips. new to the frogs so ur input is awesome.
actually sphagnum moss is a very good substrate. its slightly acidic so it keeps bacteria down. but if you dont like the look you can switch to coco fiber or even just gravel. so you dont have a glass top on that viv? if not id get one as quickly as possible.
hukilausurfer Wrote:actually sphagnum moss is a very good substrate. its slightly acidic so it keeps bacteria down. but if you dont like the look you can switch to coco fiber or even just gravel. so you dont have a glass top on that viv? if not id get one as quickly as possible.

I agree with Damian.There are lots of better substrates that are "slightly acidic" than sphagnum moss. It is OK for a temporary substrate, or in addition to other substrates, but there are much better substrates. Gravel is not one of them. Frogs can hit at flies and take in gravel , soon becoming impacted . The same with 100% coco fiber.
Peat brick is more fibrous and more acidic. Leaflitter is acidic. The goal is to get micro fauna going, and keep a healthy tank. The break down of organic substrate that is leafy and fibrous helps this out. A mix of several substrates seems to work best.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020