Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E. anthonyi "buena esperanza" appreciation
just wanted to share a picture of one of my female BE anthonyi since they are not a very common locality of anthonyi yet here in the states. the shot was taken through the glass and with a camera that at least does the job. these guys were a EU import from last year. I'm not to sure how many have been brought over here but I know Sean s had about 15 last year from one shipment.

[Image: 100_0611.jpg]

I picked up a group of 5 and it looks like 2.3 or 3.2
Good looking Epip species...love the blue.

George Gazongas (I always have a hard time with that name) had or has them. He's in Philly. Other than him and maybe Ray in N.E.....dunno anyone who has em'.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
yea george got 5 of the 15 as well from the same group. and another frogger contacted me right after picking up a group at the same time. I know ray had a pair he just posted for sale as proven not to long back. I need to get in touch with sean and see how many he has brought over. i tried via dendroworld to find out who was sending them over with no luck. I was curious to see what size breeding group they came from and wether the parents were wc or cb.. the blue is electric blue in person and almost imposible to catch with the camera. from the pictures I have seen on dendroworld they will get a blood red and the blue will get even brighter. also last night I noticed one had a bright yellow flash mark on both sides right where the hind legs meet the hip. Its kinda tucked in there so Im not suprised I havent noticed it before.
Just a little update here. in the last two days i have restricted ventilation and increased Misting on this group. I started feeding heavier as well. Today i heard a weird response call to the typical male calling which sounded like a weird clucking for a lack of a better description. I looked over to see a fat rear end sticking out of a brom. within seconds she slipped out of sight into it. A few minutes later i came back and peeked into where she was and saw what i was hopeing . She wasn't alone.

Now this raises a question. i was talking with another anthonyi enthusiast about this and he has never seen it other than in a recent utube video from over seas. but has anyone witnessed their female anthonyi making noise in response to a calling male?
News to me Eric...fascinating though !

Weird thing is im pretty sure that the video he showed me was a group of BE also. Could a single population develope this ability and not the rest?
Email Sean...he's really good about responding to emails and returning same, pretty fast.

Yea he's probably seen more anthonyi than anyone else. Ill keep this updated as breeding progresses
Hey Eric,
I think I have heard my female SI make a kind of clucking noise. I just assumed that it was one of the males making a different noise, but a few times the males have been calling back and forth, then I will hear the much quieter cluck. I haven't actually seen her doing it, but it makes sense.
-Field
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Yea it was definitely much quieter and really had an eradic rhythm to it. at first i thought it was just a submissive male but then i saw a female come popping out of a peperomia and when i heard the noise i saw her flanks slightly twitching and she moved in closer. No throat puffing at all though. I heard it twice in a few days.
Hey Eric, I have SIs and my female definitely makes a squawk/cluck like noise on occasion. I usually hear it when I feed, as my pair will often wrestle around and the female will make the sounds (I used to have only females before I got my male and the sounds have continued that's how I know it isn't the male).

Also, I will hear some really unusual calls during courting right before the female lays. It is unlike any other calls I hear. I can never get to close to see who is making the sound since they stop if I disturb them, but its a irregular series of cluck noises. Whenever I hear that call, I know I will find eggs later that day.
Good info guys. I'm getting my 2.1 trio of SI's back from another hobbyist that was caring for them and although I've never heard the female make noises...I'm going to put the tank in my living room and watch it really well.

This is the cool stuff where hobbyists actually have more experience than most Academics, Zoo Keepers and Biologists.

on a side note....my P.vitattus females absolutely squawked and made a chirp or two on occasion - usually when they were combating another female.

Awesome john. Unfortunately no eggs here yet but i have one female looking pretty plump. I hope i can eventually get it recorded.
WOO HOOOOOO!!!!! i guess i spoke to soon. just found a clutch of about 12-15 eggs laid on a watermelon pep with a frog an inch away guarding. the leaf has some crude on it so a few of the eggs were hard to count. now lets see if this first clutch is viable.
Awesome Eric, best of luck to ya!
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
allright. So the first clutch was bad but no real surprise. BUT for the last few days i have seen a male
perched on a leaf that is faceing the background and havent been able to get a good view. Figured it looked like he was guarding so i reached in and turned the leaf just a bit to get a quick peek and yep, another good sized clutch. He didnt even move and kinda gave me a wtf look.
Good news Eric

Not sure how many tries my trio has needed to figure things out since the viv is over grown, but I think after this last bout of rain storms my SI group may have thrown some better eggs. Male #2 that is usually out front w other male has been camped out in the back of the viv for over a week. I have not seen him come out for food ...nothing. I know he is alive because I saw him scurry a few days ago when I approached the viv... Not his usual behavior. I first suspected something when both frogs disappeared, then after a few days the Female just went back to her usual ritual. We will see in time how things turn out.

Any plans to pull your tads or will you let them try to grow out in the tank?

-Scott
Scott - North Dallas
Nice Eric, hope they are good this time. If you don't have any vit a let me know. I have more than I will ever be able to use and I can send some your way. It made a huge difference with my clutches. Now where are the pics?
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
There is a small depression in one corner for a pond but i plan on pulling some and raising them myself. Im am pretty sure now they are 2.3 and i really have no way of telling if this clutch came from the same female as the first so i still May be looking at another bad clutch or 3 before i get anything good. with the quick peek i got i think they look good though.

Ill take you up on that field. Thanks a bunch. I am just about to pick up some fresh supplements since its about that time too. Iv had a hell of a time finding anything local for vit a other than gel capsules. Ill send you my address. Pictures will have to wait no internet at home so Im restricted to my phone
Well second clutch went bad too and a third clutch layed yesterday was just eaten last night.

thanks again for the vit A Field.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020