Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Benedicta Eggs!!!
Pretty stoked, found my first benny eggs today. These guys have been pretty entertaining to watch the last couple days, kind of like a soap opera behind glass. Everything happened, fights, calling, and even 3-ways. I have a 3.2.1 group in a 50g corner tank.

Here is a pic of the viv
[Image: IMG_2912.jpg]

A pic of where the eggs were laid, a black film canister inside a nut pod
[Image: IMG_2913.jpg]

And a pic of the eggs
[Image: IMG_2917.jpg]

With these being their first, I'm not expecting them to be good, but then again, my banded inters laid good eggs from the get go at a young age.
Scott Bryant
so jealous.....bunch of you guys getting Bennie eggs.....

That's a cool looking viv..Like it

6 adults have no problem getting along with each other ?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Congrats Scott!
The tank is beautiful!
Cindy
Thanks, the viv is starting to look a lot better growing in, it was kind of sparse at the beginning. The only issue I have seen with 6 is the dominant (older) male getting in another male's face and chirping at him, no wrestling or hands on fighting. Mark P. keeps and breeds his in 20g's with 4-6 frogs in each so I figured 6 would be fine in a 50g. That seemed like a lot to me at first, as I keep my regina pair and galacts in 45g vivs and don't have anything smaller.
Scott Bryant
BTW, the "moat'" around the front of the viv does a great job at keeping ff's at bay and therefore keeping the front pretty clean.
Scott Bryant
AWESOME!!!!!! I am soooo freakin jealous!

I still havent even heard any calling from mine yet. I try and play that audio clip from dendrobates.org but that monkey or what ever it is is too freaking annoying. They get REALLY active after a good misting. Two in particular. I am thinking they may be the Males.

I am so excited for you, .....and pissed at you all at the same time :p
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
How old are yours? I just recently heard calling and the oldest ones morphed out on 9/29/10. I hear the most calling right after the lights turn on and right after they go off. I see most breeding activity about 10 minutes after the lights come on in the morning and after the morning mist. Their call sounds just like my retics call did, only louder.

I think I can return being pissed at you as well, I hate how good of pics you take Smile. I wish I could figure out my wife's XTI better. Most of my pics I take are using an old Cannon powershot point and shoot.
Scott Bryant
Not sure how old but they are getting pretty darn big! My largest is maybe 1.5 times larger than my Varaderos
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Yeah, they seem go get pretty large, especially the females. These are by far the largest "small" frogs I have ever kept and my oldest are only about 8 months old.
Scott Bryant
yea they are definitely the largest I own...such little nut jobs too. I had one swinging across the screen top like they where monkey bars. I was worried it was going to get a toe caught but it just kept going.
Congrats on the eggs!
Nicely done tank and congrats on the eggs.
Derek
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
Thank you. With having our 2nd daughter, I had to cut my collection back to one "show" tank at home and this 50g fits perfectly in the corner. I keep my reginas and galacts at work in a 90g split.
Scott Bryant
Whats the name of that vining species? I have seen that in a few builds and MUST have some!
It's a marcgravia sp. that I got from Joshk on DB. It grows really fast and is a shingler which would be awesome on a background .
Scott Bryant
Awesome tank and wicked frogs to compliment it.

Hey Demonic, gimme a rough size comparison between your benedicta and cristobals. My buddies cristos are quite big compared to other thumbnails I have seen. I'm liking benedicta more and more these days, and a large size only helps the cause.
Close to the same size compared to mine. Maybe the Benedicta will be a little bigger fully grown. Not sure how big your buddies are but based on mine that are around a little over a year old.
Well, can't believe it, these first 4 egg of theirs are good. I'll take pics of their development. With having 6 frogs in this viv, I could always see at least 2, but since they started breeding they are out even more. These are such a beautiful frog that I never get tired of looking at them.
Scott Bryant

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020