Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

GE I and II Silicones - Differences ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GE I and II Silicones - Differences ?
We were talking in another thread about the difference between GE I and II, whether one was any safer than the other for use with PDF's. Since I sort of hi-jacked someone else's thread I have started a new one. Here's a link back to the beginning of the conversation in case anyone has the same curiosity/concerns....

post28829.html?sid=d7bb0d57e477b1b94e8e4e2e1fe66331#p28829

Feel free to join in. I'd welcome any input. I am going to start my viv this weekend [FINALLY!!] and I only want to buy what's best for my future PDF pals :lol:

Thanks
I remember the whole debate when GE came out with the II on one of my Reef forums. There is actually no difference between the two except the label.
Just posted this on the other thread, reposting it here so readers can get the whole picture:
As I mentioned before GE II contains an organotin (dibutyltin diacetate) that mainly functions as a curing agent...NOT as an antimold agent. Personally, I choose to use GE I as a precaution. The same product/label switching refers only to the antimold properties, GE I does not contain dibutyltin diacetate unless they have recently changed the formula. To do a side by test, one would need to go into at least the second generation of offspring in a tank so it is not a comparison that can be done in a short time (the concentrations of the organotin may not be potent enough to cause detriment to the first generation). Obviously everyone is free to use whichever one they want, I just think it is a good idea to do a little research before accepting another's opinion (including my own). Again, GE II may not present any problems, I just choose not to risk it because I see no benefits from using GE II.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Tulip: the reason people choose GE II is because it is readily available in black and brown, while GE I is usually clear or white. If there are any thin spots when you put the coco/peat on the BG, the GS will show through. So in this respect the GE II is a better choice because instead of seeing yellowish GS you see black or brown silicone. If you are careful when you do the bg you won't have bare spots, so the clear is fine. A little touch up may be necessary, but I think the work is worth it knowing that future generations of my frogs may be a little safer.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Just 2 more cents.
I have known people using GE II for years and said they have had no problems.
However... I only use GE I.
I just "feel better" about it.

We should have a poll on it!

Smile
Todd
Here's a link to the 'silicone ' thread.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=5491&p=28927#p28927
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
So I have finally decided to try and make a larger vivarium with a "GS" background. I have seen all the how-to videos on YouTube, read countless amounts of forums and I decided to "blackout" the inside walls of the Vivarium with black silicone so that the ugly great stuff is not visible from the outside. Thus the forum post, I read from one source that GE 100% black silicone would be OK to use. I have already applied it to the walls and now that I joined this forum I'm reading multiple posts some say yes while some say no its toxic. I am beyond frustrated/confused! This is a desperate cry for help! Should I scrape it off and use GE 1? they don't have black or brown where I live! Please help :/
If you decide to scrape it out ... I black out the back and sides with black shelf paper. Works well and its easy to remove if you want to change things up later. They stock the shelf paper in my local home depot for under $10.
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
I'd read the chemical list on the package / back of item

Is the smell really...I mean...really...strong ?

And finally, when in doubt, scrape it out. I know, kinda harsh, but its hard to totally give you the green light on something like this.

Can you post a pick of the exact item?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
When I applied the silicone it smelled but nowhere near as bad as the aquarium safe silicone I used to fasten the false bottom. I currently have the tank airing out with a fan to help it along and the smell has gone down. The obvious would be "oh use the aquarium safe silicone" we'll the only amount available to me is no where near the amount I need to cover the three walls. Where I am really torn is that there are so many mixed messages that accompany the great Silicone debate! I'm going to wait this out and give the tank a week to cure further then make a decision. Any advice will be taken though Smile

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020