Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

"Golden" Dendrobates auratus - Sean Stewart's Frog Barn
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Golden" Dendrobates auratus - Sean Stewart's Frog Barn
First installment of @ 300 pics from Sean's facility: The "Golden" Morph Dendrobates auratus.

http://www.dartden.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=72

These particular frogs were a little on the shy side and hard to pose and photograph, so I apologize in advance if the quality is not the best. Most other pictures from this day, are much much better and sharper.

Thanks for looking !

Phil
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Those are pretty sweet looking! Is he the only one currently working with them? I believe this is the first time I have seen pics of a golden auratus. Site specific?
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
D3monic Wrote:Those are pretty sweet looking! Is he the only one currently working with them? I believe this is the first time I have seen pics of a golden auratus. Site specific?

Michael was telling me earlier that there were Golden auratus here in the U.S in the late 1990's. Sean's are from the E.U, but he has gotten good breeding success from them.

They are definitely considered rare in the U.S Hobby.

They are reputedly site specific as well.

Shame you didn't get any belly shots...they have purple spots on their bellies...I'll try to post some pictures of some I have seen Wink
They were pretty skittish...

I love auratus, Golden are on my wish list of future frog purchases.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems
they are extremely skittish and have not bred like other auratus for anyone I know of. I finally got the funds together to get the group of 12 Sean told me I could have paid off. They will go into one community viv. And will do all the work themselves. Im hoping the transporting and other activities will keep them visible more often. Seans are the only publicly known breeding groups left in the hobby here in the US. Someone did pick up a decent group of them at IAD and they should be about breeding age now so given time the could get established but it will be a while.

There were some that have come in as yellow, golden and orange auratus, Ive been working hard to find any proof that the old lines are still here. Ive heard a few old timers that no longer use the board have them.

Michael
Everyday I meet someone I dislike, are you today's pick? If you dislike me it's because somethings wrong with you!

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
I know of two people on the west coast breeding theses too...I've been told they breed like any auratus
That's exactly why there are so many of them around huh? Sean's sure hasnt loaded the hobby down with them over the years,They are far more skittish than anyother auratus Ive seen. My old pairs of other auratus locales would produce 50+ frogelts a year per female, that is only about a clutch of eggs a month. That is more than enough to stabilize the species like auratus. They have been here for atleast a decade and for auratus they are here in fewer number than almost any dart in the hobby. If its that easythere should be thousands.

Michael
Everyday I meet someone I dislike, are you today's pick? If you dislike me it's because somethings wrong with you!

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
Poison Beauties Wrote:they are extremely skittish and have not bred like other auratus for anyone I know of. I finally got the funds together to get the group of 12 Sean told me I could have paid off. They will go into one community viv. And will do all the work themselves. Im hoping the transporting and other activities will keep them visible more often.

Michael

What size tank do you plan on using, Michael?
Glenn
A 5' acrylic cube Alasdair is helping me design as a Panamanian biotope. Lots of rare palms and exotic plants and broms. It will have a 2'' custom flooding rain chamber on top of it. They will be turned loose and let do their own thing.I will pull froglets when I see them.

Michael

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
Poison Beauties Wrote:That's exactly why there are so many of them around huh? Sean's sure hasnt loaded the hobby down with them over the years,They are far more skittish than anyother auratus Ive seen. My old pairs of other auratus locales would produce 50+ frogelts a year per female, that is only about a clutch of eggs a month. That is more than enough to stabilize the species like auratus. They have been here for atleast a decade and for auratus they are here in fewer number than almost any dart in the hobby. If its that easythere should be thousands.

Michael
Same can be said for the highland bronze auratus. They supposedly breed just like any other auratus yet you rarely see froglets offered. For the number of years that S. Stewart has been breeding these guys it would seem you should see far more than you do.
Tim
JuBJuB Wrote:
Poison Beauties Wrote:That's exactly why there are so many of them around huh? Sean's sure hasnt loaded the hobby down with them over the years,They are far more skittish than anyother auratus Ive seen. My old pairs of other auratus locales would produce 50+ frogelts a year per female, that is only about a clutch of eggs a month. That is more than enough to stabilize the species like auratus. They have been here for atleast a decade and for auratus they are here in fewer number than almost any dart in the hobby. If its that easythere should be thousands.

Michael
Same can be said for the highland bronze auratus. They supposedly breed just like any other auratus yet you rarely see froglets offered. For the number of years that S. Stewart has been breeding these guys it would seem you should see far more than you do.

Very accurate Tim, IMO as well. I have about 6-8 of Sean's Highland bronze and I'll get them on the album next. They are vivid and powerfully coloured. Bolder frogs than the Goldens, I think.

I grabbed a group of ten highlands from Sean last march and ended up sending them to a friend in FL. They are very nice but yes very shy, I have no idea if its the locale issue on why they are so different or coloring. Perhaps the goldens and others that stand out so much are so shy for that reason?

Im my opinion and auratus that have been here more than 5 years and Seans have should be well established if we go by the old ''they are all the same'' ideas. Because I sure as hell wouldnt have paid out $250 each on a large group of goldens if they were established. I hope to be able to contribute to getting them that way.

Michael

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
Philsuma Wrote:
JuBJuB Wrote:

Michael

Very accurate Tim, IMO as well. I have about 6-8 of Sean's Highland bronze and I'll get them on the album next. They are vivid and powerfully coloured. Bolder frogs than the Goldens, I think.
I've got a group of 4 that are extremely bold. They aren't in a permanent viv, but I'm sure they would be happy where they are permanently. I've got a huge later of litter and a few broms and pieces if wood that keeps them buys. I can always fond all four.

How old is your group Phil?
Tim
oh...I meant I have PICs of Sean's highlands ready to go up....heh

Of auratus, I currently have green and Black and blue and black. both long term breeding groups.

I had 3 Turquoise from Mike Shrom and they were transferred to Karl from Waynesboro Pa a year or so ago....

Interesting..."Bronce/Highland Bronze" auratus are possibly the boldest form of auratus I have ever worked with.

I would be curious to hear the supposed locale on these "golden" auratus. The guys who first introduced them into the European hobby said they were from somewhere in the Darien...specifically somewhere in the Gap, if I remember correctly. There was (still is) quite a controversy as to whether or not they are an actual wild form (convenient that they come from an area very few would travel to just to verify site-specificity) or a line-bred form.

I see the appeal in the sense that they are so different from what we think of when we think of an auratus...but I'm not sure I'm a fan.
Ron
I have a group of 6 highland bronze (I believe a 4.2) from Sean, I love them, awesome frog, and mine are out and about quite a bit, I'd say as active as my tincs and leucs...
Derek
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
The locale Ive been sending questions to Marcus on as well as I plan to talk to the EU boards and see if they have anything. They have been here for a good while and came in as golden, yellow and orange auratus. Ive been told they are all from within one locale so Id like to try and track down some from the older lines. Nothing in the way of luck so far.

Mchael

Don't Be A Hybridiot!
I've spoken with someone who has talked to the person who originally "imported" them into Europe, and he always claims "the Choco" as the collection location for them (which is rather difficult for someone who might disagree to verify unless they want to go tromping around in guerilla territory). I'm pretty sure all of the frogs in the hobby come from that original group of frogs...so any instance of different color "morphs" are most likely due to people splicing lines and trying to sell them off as something different/unique.
Ron

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020