Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Help with Concrete/Grout structure in Frog Viv
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Concrete/Grout structure in Frog Viv
Ok my buddy and I have been working on some Grout/concrete coated foam fixures for an upcoming Vivarium project and we are stuck because we do not know what would be a safe sealant for the structures so that they do not cause problems for the frogs and plants?? Has anyone out there done this?? I have looked and there are ppl doing it on youtube for LIZARDs but I haven't seen one for frogs.... they say to use polyurithane wood floor laquer stuff....that just doesnt seem right.

Please help point us in the right direction. We are doing a Mayan themed tank and have some AWSOME ideas![/img]
I tried putting a picture of what we are doing in there but cant figure out how to post photos here......................???
We use acrylic paint. When it cures, it's basically an inert plastic coating.

___
Jim
Jim & Marcia Hitchcock
Rainforest Station
Really??? Just plain acrylic??? In that moist enviroment it doesnt cause problems??? Does it last? no flaking or bubbleing?? That would be a simple solution to my problem!!!!!
you can mix the grout w/ the paint and just brush it on. Or you can use glaze (paint w/out pigment). A low or no VOC will cure faster.
or you can just water down the grout, that might be easier.
destroyer3013 Wrote:Really??? Just plain acrylic??? In that moist enviroment it doesnt cause problems??? Does it last? no flaking or bubbleing?? That would be a simple solution to my problem!!!!!

I have tanks that are years old that haven't had problems. We usually use the artists' acrylics that come in the tubes, rather than the cheap craft acrylics.

___
Jim
Jim & Marcia Hitchcock
Rainforest Station

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020