Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often should I feed, and how much ?
I noticed that one of my frogs has been growing a lot faster than the other two. I started feeding them when they are at opposite sides of the tank now, so they each get some flies. I was wondering how often I should be feeding them and how much.
What species ? Are they all the same age ? What gender are they ? Did they all start out the same size ? Have you witnessed any bulling ? Do they all act "normal" besides at feeding time ?
Rob

E. anthonyi, D. imitator, C. azureiventris, D. amazonicus, D. lamasi (pan & pan gl), P. aurotaenia, D. variabilis, D. quinquevittatus, D. reticulatus, D. matecho, D. pumilio cauchero & escudos
They all seem to get along very well. I'm not positive, but I think I have one male and two females. The largest frog is a male, I think , and he is the only shy one. They were all the same size when I got them, and they are all a slightly different color, but they are all blue and black Dendrobates auratus.
I am not positive on auratus, but don't the females generally get larger than the males?
Thats what I thought, but his toe pads are huge compared to the other two. The other two frog's toes are almost pointy and i've seen the larger one mount one of the other ones back under my purple passion plants, but they are all still a little young yet.
Auratus generally do great in groups so that addresses my species question (making sure you don't have azureus or something).

Size differences can definitely be addressed by gender, but these seem younger so there still might be an issue here.

Auratus are generally shy frogs, so hiding and acting timid could be normal at a young age.

My females are larger than the males.
Rob

E. anthonyi, D. imitator, C. azureiventris, D. amazonicus, D. lamasi (pan & pan gl), P. aurotaenia, D. variabilis, D. quinquevittatus, D. reticulatus, D. matecho, D. pumilio cauchero & escudos
here is the smallest one

Attached Files

.jpg   IMG_0516.JPG (Size: 1.18 KB / Downloads: 2,634)
Quote: i was wondering how often i should be feeding them and how much.

Froglets should have a constant supply of food at hand. Sub-adults can be feed 5-7 times a week, and adults should be feed 3-7 times per week, all depending on size and feeding behavior.

Note: Too much food in a viv can actually lead to stress in some species.
Rob

I usually feed them once a day, about 150 wingless fruit flies and I have an abundance of springtails in my viv.

Is that ok ?
I personally feed my adult auratus everyday as well, they eat all the flies I present and they are not overweight so it work great for me. Plus, feeding time is when I get to see them all out in the open!!

Are your 3 auratus eating all 150+/- flies everyday, meaning are there few or no flies from the day before? If so, sounds like you are doing just fine (because you mentioned earlier that too big is not an issue, but to small might be). I also assume, at 150/day, you are also feeding mels and not hydei. Both flies work great for auratus but 150 hydei would be too much for 3 frogs/day.

BTW: Make sure you are dusting those flies....
Rob

That's correct, my flies are tiny (melanogaster) and my auratus devour all of them. I also feed flour beetles every once in awhile. How often do you dust those ? I usually feed dusted flour beetles twice a week.
I dust 75% or more of the time. I find that the dusted flies are easier for the frogs to see and catch (especially young frogs). Also, dusted flies can't climb the glass until they get the powder off their feet, this means less flies escape.

I also try to mist after I feed, and after most flies are eaten. Misting before and you will have flies drowning and the water washing off the vits too soon.
Rob

And that isn't too much calcium ? if so, then I am not dusting enough - only 1 to 2 times a week.
What supplements are you using ? I use Dendrocare but most people use Rep-Cal calcium powder and then Herpivite.

They should be used separately though - don't mix em.
Rob

I was using reptical only, but came here to find out what else everyone was using.

I think variety is good here.
There was a new member asking about this the other day....
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020