Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Increase food items after seeing pumilio tad?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase food items after seeing pumilio tad?
Not sure if this is in the right subforum, but here goes...

I found a tad in my pumilio Blue Jeans tank yesterday evening. Was quite accidental, as I try to feed them, mist and generally don't disturb them. Was looking into one of the broms up higher in the tank, and swore I saw a wiggle that wasn't a FF. Looked closer with a flashlight, and about shit the bed, because I saw a tad beeboppin' around in there.

If it's confirmed that there is breeding going on in a pumilio tank, is it advisable to increase the number of FF's you are feeding? Was curious if the females require added nutrition to produce feeder eggs. I have already been in the habit of blowing extra springtails in my BJ viv every week. I put in enough so that I can visually see them where I lift a leaf or inspect the glass below the litter level.

Am pretty new to the hobby and new to pum's. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!
cypho23 Wrote:Not sure if this is in the right subforum, but here goes...

I found a tad in my pumilio Blue Jeans tank yesterday evening. Was quite accidental, as I try to feed them, mist and generally don't disturb them. Was looking into one of the broms up higher in the tank, and swore I saw a wiggle that wasn't a FF. Looked closer with a flashlight, and about shit the bed, because I saw a tad beeboppin' around in there.

If it's confirmed that there is breeding going on in a pumilio tank, is it advisable to increase the number of FF's you are feeding? Was curious if the females require added nutrition to produce feeder eggs. I have already been in the habit of blowing extra springtails in my BJ viv every week. I put in enough so that I can visually see them where I lift a leaf or inspect the glass below the litter level.

Am pretty new to the hobby and new to pum's. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

That's hard to answer becasue I don't know how much you are feeding now.
How often and how many FFs are you feeding?
Having constant springtails for them is a very good thing.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
There are 1m/2f in this tank. I typically feed 50-60 dusted melano's every other day. In the past few weeks, if I had still seen a few flies roaming about I would toss in a few less. I have observed both females briefly the last couple weeks and both appear plump. Not rotund or morbidly obese, but nicely filled out. The males body weight "appears" unchanged to my untrained eye also.

Am blowing in both white temperate and pink springs into the tank weekly. Their population densities appear healthy(with caveat that I am very new to this game). I see fewer pinks typically(maybe the pum's target them because they are bigger...or they just hide better?)

I understand there are lots of variables in this question...but I guess the question that also interests me is, do the pum's bump up their feedings when they are actively taking care of tads? Obviously hard to quantify unless they each have their own plate, and ask for seconds, thirds...being flippant here, but have you noticed a change in feeding drive when breeding season in high gear, Rich?
I can't say I've noticed any different feeding , but the females will use fat reserves for breeding. Actually knowing exactly what a dart has consumed is hard to quantify.
I'd say that if they all look very healthy and even a bit on the plump side you are fine. As long as they can eat springs whenever they want , and it sounds as if they have FFs all the time also.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Breeding behaviour can also be initiated and prolonged by increased food sources and amounts. Commonly, a "cool down" period coinciding with a marked decrease in humidity as well as decreased food resources 'turns off' breeding. Stores of fat / resources can keep animals breeding year round. A small animal such as a Dart Frog can produce an unnatural amount of eggs or sperm which is very taxing to the animal, especially if the hobbyist is not diligent with providing additional nutrients - dusting regime. obesity is also very common in Captive Dart frogs. Gular folds - 'triple chins' as well as overall rotund body habitus can be unhealthy for the animal.

What I tend to go by for all my animals - breeding or not:

1.Provide a certain amount of Fruit Flies in a given feeding.
2. Come back to the vivarium in a few hours and note how many, if any, remain.
3. If some remain, check the vivarium the next day - at least 24 hours later.
4. If some flies remain, then I 'back it down' and either provide less flies and/or more time between feedings.

In all cases, continually observe and note the size and body shape of the frogs. Skinny is pretty easy to see and note and could also mean disease as well as under-feeding. 'Fat' is a little harder to take note of because it takes a lot of time to track, and often, we don't notice the extra weight until a long period of time has passed - just like for us Humans and buying jeans at the mall.

But to be more direct with regards to breeding animals, yes, some 'extra food' and good supplemental superfine dusting with quality vitamins and calcs is definitely advisable.

When in doubt, I would also recommend taking pics of the enclosure as well as the animals themselves and we can better assist you.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020