Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

P. terribilis aggression / bullied frog issue
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P. terribilis aggression / bullied frog issue
I have four yellow terribilis. Two of them are about two years old and two of them are ~1.5 years old. The two adults are huge (i.e. they dwarf my azureus which themselves are quite big). The 1.5 year olds have not been measured yet, but one of them is bigger than my El Cope auratus, and the other is still roughly auratus-sized (they're in different rooms and the auratus are quite shy so it's tough to get an actual size comparrison).

Anyway, I've been noticing that the smallest, who has recovered from a vitamin deficiency in the past few months, is in fact being bullied quite heavily by the second-smallest one. When he went to feed, the second-smallest one jumped on him and he has not moved a muscle since. Interestingly enough I haven't seen either of the two adults bullying either of the younger ones. In fact they don't take part in any conflict at all; when the smallest one was being dominated this evening, the two adults were just watching from about 8 inches away. So I've done some research and based on what I've found, it looks like the best thing to do is to pull the smallest one and fatten him up. I happen to have a spare 10-gallon vivarium, and I'm currently setting it up as a "recovery room" for any sick frogs. I'm putting in sphagnum moss and jungle mix soil with a few plants and some hiding places.

Here are my questions.

1) How long should I keep the terribilis in here for?
2) What vitamin/mineral supplements should I give? Is Repashy enough?
3) How long does super glue need to dry before I can put a recently fixed hide-away in a viv?
4) How long can I expect him to "play dead" for?
1.1.2 D. auratus 'Panamanian Green and Bronze'
2.1 D. tinctorius 'Azureus'
0.1.1 D. tinctorius 'Bakhuis'
1.2.1 P. terribilis 'Yellow'
Remove the smaller, bullied frog ASAP.Move to any given temp tank. No telling how long / until it recovers...

Rapashy is ok. Make sure it's fresh and not older than 8-12 months.

I would just not ever use superglue. Why would you need super glue ? Use clean magnolia leaf litter, cork bark hides, or cocohut hides and heavy pothos clippings. No need for superglued anything IMO

Dart Frogs never 'play dead'. The frog is impaired or damaged for real...it is not 'playing'.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Well he hasn't moved a lot since the other frog jumped on him. He doesn't seem to be eating, either. Not good news Sad
Your initial note was "he hadn't moved a muscle" since he was jumped on. Now "he hasn't moved a lot". Is he alive? If alive, did you do as Phil suggested and put him in any other tank, alone? It appears that would be his only chance to survive. If you haven't done so yet, put him in your "recovery room" NOW. If it's not set up, throw in your jungle mix, sphagnum, and leaf litter or plants, and do it NOW, for him to have any chance of survival!!!
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
DianeCarter Wrote:Your initial note was "he hadn't moved a muscle" since he was jumped on. Now "he hasn't moved a lot". Is he alive? If alive, did you do as Phil suggested and put him in any other tank, alone? It appears that would be his only chance to survive. If you haven't done so yet, put him in your "recovery room" NOW. If it's not set up, throw in your jungle mix, sphagnum, and leaf litter or plants, and do it NOW, for him to have any chance of survival!!!

Yes, he is in there by himself and he has moved around quite a bit. Not sure if he's eating, but he has made some progress.
Sorry for any stupid mistakes I might have made; I've never had an issue with bullying before. He's in a 10-gallon viv with sphagnum moss and jungle mix substrate, pothos, a coconut hut and a piece of wood for him to hide in.
Don't be too hard on yourself. We were ALL newbies once, after all.

Keep the humidity high, feed small amounts of FF but a bit more often.

Good luck with him and keep us posted.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
So glad you got him in the 10 gallon, alone! That's his best chance to make it, good luck! And please keep us posted!
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
What size viv are the group in?
I have my pair of mints in a 18 cube heavily planted with lots of leaf litter, terribs have issues when they are kept in too moist substrates. Did you QT and fecal the frogs? IMO plus Exotic Vets if there is a high parasite load can make them more prone to stress.
Hope the frog is doing ok.
-Beth
The frog passed away last night. He seemed to be eating but he looks very underweight and he has a kind of scar-like depression on his back. I talked to a vet and he said that he was either injured when he was jumped on, or more likely just never recovered from his deficiency and was too weak to recover. Oh well, at least he's not suffering anymore Sad
Oh God, I am sooo sorry! That is the hardest thing to have one die! You are right, he's no longer suffering.
Well, you did the best you could. Maybe he was just weaker than "normal", wasn't meant to be. I'm still sorry, doesn't make it any easier. Don't be too hard on yourself! Sorry for your loss........

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020