Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phyllobates aurotaenia Appreciation
This thread is intended to highlight the lesser known and under appreciated species of Phyllobates aurotaenia.

The viv pictured is a 20L. 50% of false bottom is egg crate. The other half is open water feature and gravel. I have a power head that pumps a current to pull water through the gravel bed and java moss. This has proven to work well as testing shows no traces of ammonia or nitrite. The lighting is an exo terra w 2@ 12watt LED screw in bulbs. These produce little to no heat , which is important in a hot place like TX.

I am currently working with 0.0.3 Green Narrow Banded morph.

Plants used in the viv are misc broms and common pothos. Most breeders report that auroteania need flooding to induce breeding, therefore I setup this tank specifically with plants that could sustain in this harsh condition. My frogs are several months from sexual maturity, so it will be sometime before I can update about any breeding success.

I have tried many tricks with the camera to capture the color of this frog, but its not easy. I think the pics posted come close to actual look "in person". The flash tends to turn the green to yellow and exaggerates the blue specs.

Enjoy
Scott - North Dallas
I love Aurotaenia! I think they have my favorite call of all the dart frogs. I've been planning on setting up a viv for them some day so this is helpful.
Finally, got a nice clean reference pic w my new Canon S95 Powershot - I still have much to learn about this camera, but at least the pic is not fuzzy : )

This animal is approx 8-9mos OOTW - The blue will continue to develop and if I am lucky the frog might get some green color flecks on his back (inside the band)

Enjoy
Scott - North Dallas
Lookin good Scott! I love the blue speckling.

Side Note: In the last pic, it looks like the world's tiniest brom to the left behind the frog.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
uhh, it is the worlds tiniest brom...uhh yeah, yeah that's the ticket

or the world's largest PDF..... :wink:

Once the sphag moss polyps start popping up they remind me of coral polyps because of their translucence... Very cool looking indeed. However, I am afraid the stringing Java moss is going to win the turf war in the end.

-Scott
Scott - North Dallas

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020