Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUARANTINE Sticky needed !
One's needed Phil. Apparently the big "read this first" is not cutting it...
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Agree.

Lets start gathering verbiage for a sticky on this.

I'll scour the existing threads and begin to cut and paste a bunch of stuff - re-edit it and I'll shoot it your way to have a look see.

In the meantime, anyone else that wants to contribute in any way, shape, or form to this project and eventual sticky....post here, or PM me....either one.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Rich,

Go ahead and post some stuff here on this thread, to be later crafted into a sticky.

A friend of this site recommended using some verbaige from another Dart Frog forum and that's fine....but I would ask that the actual author of that post do the cutting and pasting and bring it here.

I would like to see all the quarantine stickies identical across all of the forums. I think this would send a stonger message that everyone is together on this subject. Something that really stands out. Same colour across all forums.

However, the owners would have to agree to it. Balls in your park guys...

my 2 cents
Glenn
Philsuma Wrote:Rich,

Go ahead and post some stuff here on this thread, to be later crafted into a sticky.

A friend of this site recommended using some verbiage from another Dart Frog forum and that's fine....but I would ask that the actual author of that post do the cutting and pasting and bring it here.

You can C+P anything you like of mine Phil. Just give me credit please. The "potential dart frog hobbyist" sticky here was actually my work, as you know...

I actually have gotten very tired of of writing the same thing over again for 9 years in a row, only to have most ignore proper quarantine. Even when it's a sticky. Sucks.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
frogfreak Wrote:I would like to see all the quarantine stickies identical across all of the forums. I think this would send a stonger message that everyone is together on this subject. Something that really stands out. Same colour across all forums.

my 2 cents
Glenn,
if you read my quarantine proceedures you'll find they follow well established proceedures zoos, aquariums, museums, ect. use. It's been established for years , if not many decades. It's one thing most professional animal keepers can agree upon. And yet we still have people who think they can look at a frog and tell it's health magically because it eats and hops.
Magic Johnson looks fine, eats and hops too...

frogfreak Wrote:I would like to see all the quarantine stickies identical across all of the forums. I think this would send a stonger message that everyone is together on this subject. Something that really stands out. Same colour across all forums.

my 2 cents

It seems I misread your post. I thought you meant the owners would have to agree on proceedures, not to actually post the sticky.
I do however very much doubt that all three 'big' forum owners follow proper established quarantine practices, but they may all post a quarantine sticky.

hmmm....ok.....I'll start to work on some Q-tine guidelines for a sticky.

I wish some other people would step up with some additions. I'm generating @ 90% of the content for this site as it currently stands and have already been "accused" of running a self-righteous blog.....so......

I can't afford to be an absentee owner and have topics print themselves yet - so it make take some time.

Philsuma Wrote:... I'm generating @ 90% of the content for this site...
You may wish to re-think this Phil. Over 1700 posts and member # 2 here buddy.

I can see a need for it, I read all the stuff on quarantine and fecals etc and know better now, but I see what he is saying just from past posts.. 'help sick frog' .. If I had not scanned though older posts I may have brought them home and tossed them in also.I'm getting mine this weekend locally so no shipping, but I need to seed microfauna and such also so they will probably do an extra week in the 'hole' for bad behaviour to be sure the dirt critters get a good start. hehe
2.1.0 Cobalt
1.1.0 Aurotaenia
RichFrye Wrote:
Philsuma Wrote:... I'm generating @ 90% of the content for this site...
You may wish to re-think this Phil. Over 1700 posts and member # 2 here buddy.

You have a 2 year head start on me :wink: I'm talking since I took over....

Not a race.

Still a noob to offer too much topic wise
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
Don
This isn't too difficult to write about.

My Uber In Depth Quarantine procedure.

I use a 10 gallon aquarium with moist white paper towels on the bottom and a small layer of leaf litter (2-3 layers of leafs). Don't worry about seeding this with springs. Chances are your frogs will have something in them. Below is the regiment I follow for my QT.

Day 1 - Place frogs in QT and observe
Day 2 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 3 - Observe
Day 4 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 5 - Observe
Day 6 - Observe
Day 7 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 8 - Observe
Day 9 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 10 - Collect fecals (3-5 poops per viv), Overnight fecals to vet for examination. Observer
Day 11 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe - Results should come this day if you send to Dr. Frye he does same day results. Follow his guidelines for treating. Most likely it will be Panacure dusted FF ones a week for four weeks.
Day 12 - Observe
Day 13 - Observe
Day 14 - Feed FF dusted with ground up Panacure. Grind up the Panacure granule and dust FF with the fine powder. Observe
Day 15 - Move frogs to a new CLEAN QT and observe
Day 16 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 17 - Observe
Day 18 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 19 - Observe
Day 20 - Observe
Day 21 - Feed FF dusted with ground up Panacure. Grind up the Panacure granule and dust FF with the fine powder. Observe
Day 22 - Move frogs to a new CLEAN QT and observe
Day 23 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 24 - Observe
Day 25 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 26 - Observe
Day 27 - Observe
Day 28 - Feed FF dusted with ground up Panacure. Grind up the Panacure granule and dust FF with the fine powder. Observe
Day 29 - Move frogs to a new CLEAN QT and observe
Day 30 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 31 - Observe
Day 32 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 33 - Observe
Day 34 - Observe
Day 35 - Feed FF dusted with ground up Panacure. Grind up the Panacure granule and dust FF with the fine powder. Observe
Day 36 - Move frogs to a new CLEAN QT and observe
Day 37 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 38 - Observe
Day 39 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 40 - Observe
Day 41 - Observe
Day 42 - Feed Calcium dusted FF and observe
Day 43 - Observe
Day 44 - Feed Vitamin dusted FF and observe
Day 45 - Collect fecals (3-5 poops per viv). Overnight fecals to vet for examination. Observer
Day 46+ - Repeat from Day 11 on if frogs still have something. Otherwise keep feeding everyother day or so and send off new fecal every 2 weeks until you get 3 clean fecal returned.
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
Hi Kris,
Panacur is not too small , it is too large a granual. You need to grind it as fine as possible and do not add supplememnts because you have now diluted the medicine.

Rich

I couldn't get the Panacur to stick to the FFs so per BCStx recommendation I added a tiny bit of supplements to the Panacur I was dusting with and everything then stuck fine.

And yes the panacur is a granual until you grind it then in my opinion it was too fine of a powder to stick to the FFs. I honestly didn't see any sticking. I'll edit the post though to take that wording out.
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
I ground it up really superfine for Kris (bought a mortor and pestle from Target for 9 bucks).

My buddy Kristy is the one that suggested adding a tiny amount of supplement to help it stick, it has worked for me.

All I can add is always QT and fecal no matter who you buy your frogs from.
-Beth
Stick your arm into a bucket of wheat kernels, pull it out and see how many stick and stay on your arm.
Then stick it in a bucket of wheat flour and see what sticks...

post20763.html#p20763

Here's the Start of the Sticky ^^

I basically put a small tspfull of it in a dusting cup, tilt it and tap like I'm tapping out fruitflies, the large "pebbles" all roll out and the powder stays behind, then add flies and swirl

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020