Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarantine , Quarantine, and Quarantine.
After reading a few posts about Chytrid, coccidia, worms, and whatever else always seems to running rampant through our Dart collections, I am wondering if there are still any froggers out there that still do not understand the concept of quarantine.
Let me state this one more time. If you have a frog that has a communicable disease, (and more are than not) and you do not quarantine the animal before placing the new frog in-viv, you have not only infected the whole viv with a (or more) pathogens, but each and every animal within that viv.
I am posting this in newbies, but do not want the "experts" to think this is not directed at them also.
I often just have to shake my head in disbelief after reading that the quarantine prossess has been skipped and frogs are dead and dieing.
"Apparently healthy" means absolutely ZERO. Can any of you look at someone walking down the street and guess at their health? Any of you froggers want to tell me you know your exact state of health without any sort of medical check-up?
One last thing. Again, there are MANY "reputable" froggers selling Darts who have a TON of bad stuff infecting their collections. Wether they realise it , care about the fact, or not , makes no difference.
Quarantine each and every single Dart you add to your collection.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
How about let's take this a step further, and tell others exactly what "quarantine" means. To some, quarantine might just mean not tossing them in with any other frogs for awhile. Rich, can you give us specifics on just what you feel an acceptable means of quarantine would be? For instance, seperate room or on another side of the same room...each new frog in it's own temporary container or keep a group that came from the same place together...using all seperate FF containers, misting bottles, etc...feeding the existing frogs first, then the new frogs? You get the point. Let's hear details on what works and what doesn't work.

I know I even worry if I go right from one room to the other to feed...I'm a bit paranoid, though.

Kristen
what would some good breeders be that sell frogs that they treat before hand?
(besides you of course Tongue )
Hi Kristen,
I will elaborate some more tomorrow. I can add to this post.
http://www.dartden.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... quarantine

Hi Zaroba,
Where did you read the word treat in the above post?
Treatment is not always needed during or after quarantine.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
did'nt.

i know its not always needed, but i'd hate to buy a frog and then find out it needs lots of treatment (i already plan on sending samples to you when i do get frogs).

hence why i ask about a reputable breeder that would be selling frogs that they quaranteened when getting them, breed, and kept in new tanks that sick frogs were never in. am i right in thinking that if you treat frogs to cure any sicknesses, and then breed them and keep the offspring in clean tanks, then they should theoretically be healthy as well ?

sorry though, i should have been more specific.
its what i get for dipping into our home made kahlua stash Tongue

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020