Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Questions on frog lines. (Breeding)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on frog lines. (Breeding)
In my planning I am trying to consider everything that will be pertinent, even if it is relatively far out, so I have some questions regarding breeding.
Admittedly, I haven't read a lot about this part of the hobby yet, so if there is a thread, feel free to point me at it, if it is easier than typing it out Smile

To start with, I am hoping to end up with a trio (which in the breeds I'm looking at looks like 2:1 is the standard). I currently don't have any.

I am familiar with mammal breeding a bit, where line breeding is common.

I'm hoping to eventually breed, just for the fun (not interested in a business at all.) So with that in mind, is it best to buy different lines, at least a different line for the different genders? Maybe both males the same line? Or is it better for genetic diversity to get 3 different lines (assuming you can)?

What is the best way to accomplish this, since financially it will probably be easiest for me to get a group of young ones and grow them up first? In this case I'm guessing they will be siblings, and obviously unsexed, thus the lower price.

Is it easily done, to grow them up, then trade with someone for a different line, of the same thing, and whatever gender is needed?
Is it cheaper in the long run to get a probable pair/trio or even proven pair/trio?

Feel free to let me know any questions I should be asking, since I don't know, what I don't know Smile
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
What types of frogs are we talking about here? All the frogs I keep are 1:1 breeding.

What do you mean by line breeding? Actual line breeding is HIGHLY frowned upon in this hobby. If you are referring to different morphs, mixing morphs is also Highly frowned upon.

As for getting a pair, its best to get a hold of 3-4 frogs and grow them up until you can sex them.
I think she means "lines" as in genetic progeny from a particular breeder.

Frog Genetic "Line" - often referred to with the last name of the hobbyist who FIRST produced or brought the animals into a breeding program. Used as a way to track or trace back lineage history.

Examples:

Frye line
Tuss line
Shrom line
Pepper line
Nabors line

You can use the same line frogs for a breeding project without issue.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Hi EntoCraig,

By line breeding, I mean breeding of related individuals, not direct siblings or parent to offspring, which would be in breeding, but more distant, like back to a grandparent sometimes, or more generations back. Also sometimes something like uncle to niece etc. Is that what you mean when you say line breeding? Or are you referring to something different. I do want to learn about these things, so please help me understand.

I do realize from my "research" that mixing morphs is unacceptable to most. (myself included, I understand the issues with that.) And I do not intend in any way to do that.
Lisa
In central NY

Ah, yes Phil, that is indeed my meaning.

So, from the same line is ok. i.e. Frye male to Frye female. Gotcha.
Next question is, what about immediate relatives like siblings or offspring to parent? I want to be sure I make informed purchases, and don't make a mistake that would be a detriment to the hobby or the offspring.
Not to mention getting myself into hot water! Big Grin
Lisa
In central NY

Oh I see. Yes lines from breeders, not lines related to specific, isolated traits.
OH! Just came across a post that talked about line breeding! Now I see that the term is used in this hobby, but very different meaning than mammals! I better learn this lingo quick so I don't do that often.
Lisa
In central NY

No worries, thats what forums are for, to learn and share what you know or need to know. The simple fact that you are actively researching puts you miles ahead of many 'starter hobbyists' ... Smile

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020