Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viv substrate and silicone help
iv read a bunch of threads on this forum and some others about the substrate but i'm not sure how much to order for the tank i have. any help would be appreciated. the tank is 29g tall i do believe. I'm going to be setting it up for some Varadero imitators. Ive got a lot of things from home depot including some sphagnum moss because that's all i could find they didn't have or at least that they could tell me any of the other things i needed for the substrate. so back to the question how much should i order? thanks
Substrate composition and amount CAN be daunting to be sure. If you are new and just starting out, it's easier to buy premade stuff than make your own.

Here's a sponser that sell's premade substrate. You can also email to inquire as to how much - but I personally, would just order 3 of the 4 quart bags...that should do it. Remember you can always use any extra, later on.

http://www.vivariumconcepts.com/supplie ... -substrate
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
One more question I picked up some of the GE II silicone the silicone its self is black but the tube is blue and is for doors windows attic and basement. Is this the correct one? Because the one with the black label was only available in white.
GE II should be good to go, yes. I think there was a thread on it here and they said the tubes came in different colours but they were all ok to use.

Remember to allow it to thoroughly dry for a long time / no fumes. A fan helps too.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
You could also use Turface infield conditioner. It's usually found at the John Deere landscaping stores. What I do is have a layer of turface, then I plant. After that I cover all the turface with a layer of live oak leaves. On top of thet I do a layer of Magnolia leaves. It works pretty good for me.
Ulises
Is GE II the only safe silicone to use??

Thanks
I would say yes. You could also go with the aquarium silicon, its more expensive though. You don't want to use anything with mold inhibitors in it.
GE 1 can still be had at walmarts. I have used GE II on all of my vivs currently. ACE also makes 100% silicone as well. Just make sure it is the 100% and not the acrylic with silicone caulk.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Thanks, TJ
I don't see why one would take the risk with GE II when GE I is widely available. Finding it in black can be a pain, but I would say its worth the effort to avoid possible developmental complications.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
I don't think there is anything wrong with using GE II. I don't know for sure anything will or wont happen to our frogs, but I have used pounds of this stuff with my reef tanks. If it doesn't hurt the fish or corals I cant see it hurting our frogs.
fieldsmith Wrote:I don't see why one would take the risk with GE II when GE I is widely available. Finding it in black can be a pain, but I would say its worth the effort to avoid possible developmental complications.

What is the difference between the two??

p.s. sk33m101 thanks for letting me ask these questions here. I hope you feel it still pertains to your original post.
There is a curing agent (a type of organotin) in GE II that many believe could cause developmental issues in Dendrobatids. It may not present a problem (many people use GE II with no reported ill-effects) but I just play it safe. I feel that it isn't worth the possible risk when there is a safer alternative.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
fieldsmith Wrote:There is a curing agent (a type of organotin) in GE II that many believe could cause developmental issues in Dendrobatids. It may not present a problem (many people use GE II with no reported ill-effects) but I just play it safe. I feel that it isn't worth the possible risk when there is a safer alternative.

How long has the GE II been in use in the hobby? Has anyone switched from I to II and noticed any effects over generations or anything? Curious. Sorry for the semi hijack.
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
GE I and GE II are exactly the same product. All they did was switch labels. Venomos and I were talking about this today and reminded me of this.
The advertised mold inhibitors is supposedly the only difference. GE stated GE I has it as well, just wasn't advertised or put on the label. I am going to pick up a bottle of the GE I and compare it to the IIs I have. I'll be back in touch.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Thanks, TJ
Thanks everyone. Look forward to hearing of any differences.

I do feel we have jacked this thread and I'm going to start a new one on the topic of safe silicone to use with PDF's....

Thanks everyone Smile
As I mentioned before GE II contains an organotin (dibutyltin diacetate) that mainly functions as a curing agent...NOT as an antimold agent. Personally, I choose to use GE I as a precaution. The same product/label switching refers only to the antimold properties, GE I does not contain dibutyltin diacetate unless they have recently changed the formula. To do a side by test, one would need to go into at least the second generation of offspring in a tank so it is not a comparison that can be done in a short time (the concentrations of the organotin may not be potent enough to cause detriment to the first generation). Obviously everyone is free to use whichever one they want, I just think it is a good idea to do a little research before accepting another's opinion (including my own). Again, GE II may not present any problems, I just choose not to risk it because I see no benefits from using GE II.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020