Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

What is the absolute lowest temp...
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the absolute lowest temp...
Hey guys, asking for some advice input here. I have a time issue and need to get some tanks moved into the frog room asap. I was trying to take my time and do everything right. Well a good bit of time was used up with some problems my building buddy ran into. So now I need to have some changes right away. I want to move my tanks but dont have the temperature issue ironed out yet. This is not what I want to do or how I wanted to do it. But I have no choice right now. I am playing around with some issues of heaters and heat/cooling units. So I wanted to see what is the absolute lowest temp the room can hit without any issues? I feel that when the lights are all on that the room will be fine. But at night is where I am worried. So I am thinking about a small ceramic heater for the time being. I am kinda worried that we havent had any real cold weather yet so the ground temps havent dropped yet. I am currently hitting 63/64 in the room. That is without any lights and the door attached. So I expect the temps to rise during the day with lighting and the door attached. I am thinking a little ceramic heater or baseboard should give off enough to keep everything ok. But wanted to see low side of temps in case all else fails and sheet hits the fan(story of my life).
Thanks, TJ
When my basement temps hit 60F and it was freezing outside - getting lower, I made sure to turn the heater on. Some tincs and epips / highland species are absolutely fine but I had a lot of pumilio and didn't want them to get too cold.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
So I should be ok with moving them down there and just using a small heater? The temperature has only fluctuated 1 degree for the past couple months down there. It has been holding steady all day and night unless we are in there working, then it goes up two degrees from our heat I guess. But I think we have only dropped to the high 20s, low 30s so far this year and that was like once or twice. Otherwise we have been having some pretty decent overnight temps lately.
Thanks, TJ
Just dont want to come downstairs to a couple grand of dead frogs! But I have to get them moved so I am trying to do everything in my power to keep them in comfort as much as possible.
Thanks, TJ
The room is not walled in ? You can plastic wrap it in and it should hold heat from a small ceramic heater.

Make sure the heater has a good thermostat - reliable.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Yes Phil, it is walled in. Only thing open is the doorway! I hung plastic up in place of the door for now. Was supposed to have the door up this past weekend, but plans fell through. I wasnt going to insulate the ceiling but now I am going to. The only area I dont have insulated yet is the area around the sump pump and radon assembly. That area was going to be made into a shut closet. But...that isnt done yet either.
Thanks, TJ
Up here in MN it can get pretty frigid over the winter.
Last year my basement stayed around 65 mostly. I only had tincs, anthonyi, and treefrogs that can handle a bit of a cool. Nothing needing a regular heat source. I did run a oil filled heater when needed but typical room temps were around 65 with no problems.
Keep in mind, the lowest temperature in the tanks is not necessarily the same as the lowest room temperature. If you get a heat gun you might be surprised at how much residual heat the tanks hold onto into the night. That's, of course, dependent on a lot of different factors (day temps, tank size, tank construction, ventilation, water features, etc), but I find my tank interiors are 2-4 degrees warmer at night than the room temp.

If you don't have a temp gun, pick one up. They really help fine tune situations like this.
I appreciate it guys!

Yeah I have one I picked up from Bigappleherp that works pretty well. The tanks are a couple degrees warmer for a few hours. Most of my tanks are all Verts with clay backgrounds. So I could definately see how the tank would hold and absorb some heat. I might completely cover the upper vents too for the winter so that should help hold the warmer humidity in the tank as well.
Thanks, TJ

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020