Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild caught/captive bred
Some thing i picked up on another thread,and not wanting to divert that,and wanting to know for both us and other beginners:

1 how can i tell if a frog is wild caught ?

2 What are the reasons for not buying captive breed and for buying captive breed

I have some preconceived ideas but will sit on the fence not for any other reason than i would greatly appreciate the input of more knowledgeable folks than i,and also not to sway the responses.
so any fors and against all taken gratefully to provide a novice with a base to make decisions on.

as always thanks in advance
Stu
Good question and topic for debate Stu.

Some possible Indicators of a Wild Caught Frog:

1. Nose rubs - Black necrosis skin from rubbing / trying to get out of containers. Wild Caught frogs are not as "manageable" or content with being in an enclosure as CB frogs, to put it simply.

2. Other skin imperfections, lesions, marks, scuffs, possible worm holes, bumps, tears. These marks / physical indications of a life in the wild and not the glass box.

3. Fecals coming back with a high load of parasites - note,this is not completely indicative of WC status and not as telling as the above two.

4. A Large frog - as opposed to a froglet of juvenile. WC frogs are very unlikely to be anything other than a large adult.

5. Male heavy as opposed to an even Male to Female ratio. WC male frogs are often collected by call locating them, hence the disproportionate number of females.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:Good question and topic for debate Stu.

Some possible Indicators of a Wild Caught Frog:

1. Nose rubs - Black necrosis skin from rubbing / trying to get out of containers. Wild Caught frogs are not as "manageable" or content with being in an enclosure as CB frogs, to put it simply.

2. Other skin imperfections, lesions, marks, scuffs, possible worm holes, bumps, tears. These marks / physical indications of a life in the wild and not the glass box.

3. Fecals coming back with a high load of parasites - note,this is not completely indicative of WC status and not as telling as the above two.

4. A Large frog - as opposed to a froglet of juvenile. WC frogs are very unlikely to be anything other than a large adult.

5. Male heavy as opposed to an even Male to Female ratio. WC male frogs are often collected by call locating them, hence the disproportionate number of females.
'Ello mate,thanks for the answer,thats the first part pretty much covered (I think). I would like to add what type of worm will visably exit via the skin(in part 2 of your answer)
Now what about the second part ie part 2 of my question,what are the reasons for and against buying wild caught vs captive bred...i'll elabourate...what are the reasons for us to take frogs from the wild? (PROS and CONS!!): are we as a hobby not able to breed enough to supply demand,is inbreeding a major problem,are we able to help fund the preservation of our beloved frogs habitat by buying wild caught, i will stop there for the moment,as I am apt to chuck so many Q' in one paragraph it becomes imensely difficult to answer.
Thanks mate for your thoughts,it is a worthy topic for us to talk about I believe and for us learners to ponder on
be lucky kiddo
Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020