Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

setting up tank with nothing in it
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setting up tank with nothing in it
hello everyone. ive been lurking here for a while. i really enjoy this site and the information provided!

i have all my supplies for my first pdf vivarium except the plants and frogs. i am going with the eggcrate/false bottom method.

i am going to order my plants but i wanted to get a feel for the tank and the layout before i bought any.

my question is: can i set everything up including the WET substrate and not have any plants in it for a week? will it mold?

thank you
youll be just fine.
What do you have in it? are you checking to see if your wood decorations and moss will mold? When you do get plants the main thing is, is that the root's don't get soggy
Quaz Wrote:What do you have in it? are you checking to see if your wood decorations and moss will mold? When you do get plants the main thing is, is that the root's don't get soggy

i have nothing in it except the false bottom right now. i wanted to get the substrate in there and get it moulded and shaped the way i wanted it and then make plant selections according to how i set it up.

in order to get the substrate the way i want it i have to soak the dendro-bedding blocks in water. i was concerend that not having any plants or animals would make it get pretty nasty in there.

thanx for the replies much appreciated
If things get nasty with out plants and animals they won't get any better with them. unless your tank goes through a little cycle of mold. But I do agree with you setting it up first before the frogs. Probably the best thing would to have all the organic material like wood, plants, mosses, etc... then let it sit at the humidity you'll keep it at and see how it all goes.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020