Dart Den

Full Version: good darts for newb?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dartboy

i was looking into dart frogs a week ago and thought they were pretty cool. after looking, i think im going to start. I was thinking about getting some dendrobates auratus. the hawaiian green and black ones. i want to start w/ a cheap one preferably a pair under $50. If you know any other pdf that sells that low i'd be happy to consider it.also, its going in a ten gallon for about a half a month, and when i move my turtles out of the 35 the darts will go in. Thanks.

dartboy

also, is this an active frog? i want one that will go around the viv. when im watching them, no shy frogs! also i heard luecs are good and cheap. are they shy? Thanks

aquariumart

Hi. I have both Auratus and Luecs, not together. Both types are fairly out going. But my Blue Azureus are the most outgoing. If you can save $$$ to buy one or two that is the bravest frog I have. Before investing in frogs get your fruit fly cultures going. Also really research the pdf hobby.
Good Luck!

§lipperhead

If you would like them to be very active and "showy," using a large terrarium provides a spacious, comfortable space for your frog to explore.

~Slip

§lipperhead

If you would like to find frogs cheap, its a great idea to search some good retile expos in your area. Try Texasreptiles.com for starts. Many vendors come from all around to advertise their specimens and can answer a lot of key questions you may have.

~Slip

WhiteStripes

Considering you want an outgoing frog I would suggest a Phyllobates vittatus.
It's only 5$ more than a Green and Black Auratus and is also very bold in the terrarium. Here is a breeder to get them.
http://www.saurian.net/htm05/frog_phyll ... tatus.html

kodama16

id say go luecsSmile

standardtyler

they are only 30 bucks at frog shows :twisted:

standardtyler

sorry i meant the blue and bronze are only 30 buck at frog shows
I second the recommendation of the leucomelas.
All of my froglets have been shy while growing up except the leucs.
Out and about from the get go.

standardtyler

i agree if you don't want auratus get the luecs