Dart Den

Full Version: How much do you feed your Dart Frog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WhiteStripes

Help?
Hello WhiteStripes.
Are you trying to feed the frog fruit flies?
How old is the frog?

nicky25

I have the same question. I have 4 adult frogs and i am not quite sure how much to feed them.
Start out with 10-15 flies per frog, juvi frogs less. Watch to see if the flies are eaten, and adjust at the next feeding.

Malaki33

Some of the literature I read says that frogs can eat baby crickets. Is this true ?

brettlt

Yes, frogs can eat baby crickets, commonly called pin head size. The main problem with crickets is that grow very fast. They are only good frog food for most PDFs for about a week, maybe a little more, than they grow too big.

Fruit flies are much easier to culture and feed.

talanyth

I read in one of posts 'general distance between the eyes of the frog should be the maximum size of food object for most species'.
How many cricket per frog are the right amount ? I figured about 5 per frog, but my frogs ate them and then looked at me like "are you going to give me more?" Is that amount okay or should I be feeding more ? And is that once a day or what ? I'm new at this and everyone tells me something different.
That is definitely not enough for most any adult sized frog. Most large adult tincs can each eat like around 50 fruit flies a day.

Smaller frogs maybe 15-25 a day, and the larger ones around 50. Juveniles are usually fed a little less twice a day.

I will see if others want to help me throw a guide together for feeding. What frogs need, how much per day, etc. Which frogs eat so fast most the powders are still on it, so they'll need a break from the supplements every now and again. Which juveniles of which species need how much, etc. I'm surprised there is not a cheat sheet for how many people there are out there who don't know this basic frog care information.
Was this "cheat sheat" ever put together? That would be some fantastic information to have for my 3 tinc froglets.
A guide to feeding amounts would be impractical. There is a multitude of variables that go into quantity of food for a given size frog. Temperature, humidity, growth rate, species, among others.

Cindy's post above is the most succinct and accurate. Start out feeding a moderate amount - not overly large so that flies are literally crawling everywhere, and then the next day - take a look and assess (see how many are left, uneaten).

Tinc froglets can easily be fed every day or every other day - small amounts at first, possibly 10-15 flies for each froglet.

Also, direct observation while feeding is essential to detect stress or poor feeding. If 2 of your 3 frogs feed aggressively and the other does not, for instance, than you will see that upon watching the feeding and can take steps to remove the shy or stressed frog to it's own enclosure.
I'm glad this got bumped up. I looked when I first got my leucs. I have 2 sub adults and I was feeding around 30-40 FF's a day. Now, it seems like my tank is overrun by FF to the point of possible stress to one of the frogs (it's still fat but in hiding almost all day). I've set up a feeding station with a grape (only fruit I have right now). The FF's have flocked to it but when I mist there's still tons coming out. Is it ok for the frogs to not have dusted flies for a few days? Or should I just only put in about 10 or so that are dusted.

My frogs have also gotten lazy. They're not hunting food like they did the first week I had them. I see them first thing in the morning at the feeding station, cleaning the FF's off the grape, getting their fill, then around 10am then the one is in hiding the rest of the day/night till the next morning. I don't have springtails which I had forgotten and still looking for a better deal on the shipping ($9 for the culture and $15 on the shipping disappoints me). Next reptile show close to me isn't until August Sad
Springtails are very good to have for pumilio and froglets of all species....adult Tincs and 'tinc type' frogs...not so important.

Yes...you can skip a dusting or 2 and feed out undusted flies. I refuse to maintain a schedule for dusting or even feeding. I literally wing it. I also make my FF media without ever measuring. I do not recommend that for new hobbyists, but the fact that it works well for me, means it can be something you can shoot for down the road.

It seems like you are overfeeding. Excess flies. Cut back with the amount and skip an extra day...then re-assess.
Thanks Phil. So just the feeding station will be good for a while until I get the FF population down inside my tank down. I did like to have a scheduled feeding time because my 3 year old son loves helping in the care of all of our animals (frogs, turtles, fish, dog) before he goes to day care in the morning. We do everything around 8 am which we were doing before the fogs and works out good because both frogs are always out at that time.

The FF media is another question I had if you'd like me to start a new thread.
I would start skipping 1-2 days..maybe even 3 days until those excess flies are gone. I almost never feed every day. Frogs are not like people - eating breakfast lunch and dinner...heck...they can go without any food for days -a week as a large adult .Easy.

It may be hard, because your son want to feed them every day....but that is going to lead to overfeeding and too many leftover flies like you have now.

if you have a media question. Try to find an existing thread that is close to your question and just tack your new post / question onto that thread and we will get you sorted.
Bump...