Dart Den

Full Version: What size tank and for how many frogs ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to poison dart frogs. I researched them and I love how they look. I know they require 72-80 degrees. I also researched terrarium plants. I have chosen bromelaids, aluminum, and peperomia plants. Can somebody give me a list of the supplies I need? What type of dart frog should I get ? I like blue and dyeing dart frogs. Which of those two should I get ? Are they expensive ?
hey cer,

wow, those are some broad questions. tincs and azureus are both suitable beginner frogs. look through the classified ads and vendor sites to get an idea of prices. your plant choices seem solid. you should read through old posts and viv construction journals to see what supplies you need depending on the style of tank you want to set up. when you have more specific questions, just post them and i'm sure folks will help out.

good luck with the research,
mack
Will the yellow and black dart frogs occupy all levels of a 30 gallon terrarium? I was thinking of 6 of them?
Use the rule of thumb:

1 frog per 10 gallons......
I thought it was 1 frog per 5 gallons?
Better off with one frog per 20 gallons even. The bigger, the better.

Out of curiousity, what do you mean when you say "they require 72-80 degrees" ?

Rich
You know, fahrenheit ? The temperature.
Point being, they do not require 72-80 temps.

It depends upon what species, what time of the breeding season, what you are attempting with them (breeding or cycling down to stop breeding) , lots of factors really. I try to swing my temps down each night to 64 degrees fahrenheit for example.
What should the tempature throughout the day and year? The frog is a yellow and black dart frog.
just getting in my second post sorry