Dart Den

Full Version: Confused about the number of frogs and sexing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I posted in the introduction topic, I have been trying to learn as much information as I could for the past two years or so about the little creatures. I finally bought a 20H to start working on a habitat. I am not in a rush to get frogs. I also like conservative information regarding frog care, I want as little risk as possible from making poor choices and not enough research. I am really interested in getting some Tings, maybe Dendrobates tinctorius “Patricia” or "French Guiana Cobalt". I am confused about how many I am able to keep in this size habitat. It seems to me I have read that two sexed pairs could be possible. Of course I would like a group but if it is best to have just one sexed pair that is fine. Also, If i purchase young frogs that are not sexed which see to be the most readily available, how will that work. After my decision about how many frogs, how can I know what will happen if I purchase two, three or four frogs. Sorry for the long inquiry. Thank you in advance for the help. I look forward to being a part of this hobby and this group.
P.s. Keep in mind, I would like to eventually build a collection . If I screw this first attempt up, the wife won't be as supportive of this hobby as she is now. :?
Real quick......Tincs are VERY hard to sex until @ year old.

Most people would buy 3-4 juveniles in a 20 gallon ,long size....grow them out for a year or so and begin to sex them.

The best breeding ratio for Tincs is 2.1 (2 males, 1 female) or 1.1 and those are good ratios for a smaller size viv like a 20 gallon.

2 Pairs is NOT recommended due to female on female aggression.

Hope that helps...
Thank you for the answer so far. Should I consider exchanging the tank for a 20 long and get several younger frogs? How difficult would be to work with a sexed pair of frogs instead?
You could always go to a 40 gallon "breeder" sized horizontal....that would be plenty of room for 2.1 adult Tincs.

working with a sexed pair is no more difficult than juveniles. You are going to have to TRUST that the person is actually giving you a breeding pair though as some hobbyists do get rolled...

Then...expect to pay 2-3 times more for sexed animals.

ie......froglets and juvies go for 30-45 dollars and sexed / breeding adults....100- 150 each.......for example.