Dart Den

Full Version: Wanting to get PDF's - some newb questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been doing some research and have come up with some questions.

First if you use greatstuff what do you cover it with ?

Second, what are the best PDF for a beginner ?

Third, is there a list of plants which are safe for PDFs? I keep a lot of aquatic plants which can be grown immersed (roots wet) are those going to be safe for PDF's ?

Fourth, some say its important to make sure any water (pond, etc) is kept less than an inch deep and some say not to risk it at all. Then I look at some viv's and see that there is fairly deep water areas. What are the pros and cons of each?

Also any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
Also is it okay to use RO/DI water or would tap water be better?
if you use greatstuff what do you cover it with?
- Doing small areas at a time I cover it with silicone then press a handful of coco fiber onto the silicone. Do it in sections or else the silicone will dry before the coco fiber sticks to it. You could also use cork bark, which is what I've been using for my last few tanks.

what are the best PDF for a beginner?
- I'd recommend one of the bigger ones, but one that will hang out in the open. Maybe Leucs or Azureus.

is there a list of plants which are safe for PDFs?
- As far as I know you can use pretty much anything.

Water
- Some say to use deep water in case the frogs fight and fall in the water, in shallow water the dominate one might hold the weaker one down while wrestling and drown it. If they fall into the deep water they will stop fighting and try to climb out. If you do go with deeper water make sure you have slopes/ways for them to climb out.

is it okay to use RO/DI water or would tap water be better?
- use the RO/DI water, most tap water has chlorine and other chemicals in it that aren't good for the frogs.

Hope that helps. You might wanna post where you're located, maybe find someone around you and check out their setups.
I'm out of Cincinnati, OH