Dart Den

Full Version: "Double Clutch" of Eldorado pumilio eggs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1.1 took a break from breeding and I gave them some time to recover.

After a few months, the female was starting to look big and fat - egg laden, but nothing. No eggs for weeks.

I decided to put together a slightly bigger viv for them. Nice and new. doubled the broms. Made it really wet and wouldn't ya know.

Eggs within 12 hours. Then another clutch. Then a third- which was the biggest clutch of all three.

Sometimes a little moving around is all it takes....

The "new" viv - to spark their interest.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Two clutches on far right. The "older" clutch is on top - older by hours, not days.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Couple tads almost ready for transport.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

and finally....the mother lode. 16, I think. A personal best from these guys[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
What size viv were they in, and what are they in know? I have thought about getting El Dorados. I think I am moving my collection to more Oophaga. I don't have has much times for tads.
JJuchems Wrote:What size viv were they in, and what are they in know? I have thought about getting El Dorados. I think I am moving my collection to more Oophaga. I don't have has much times for tads.

That's a 20 gallon Vert. I wish it was a "33 Gallon" Exo, which is much more suitable for them - or bigger. Bigger is always better as a rule and that's not just a saying. Pumilo really benefit from larger quarters much more so than Tincs for instance, IMHO. Larger size Vivs def promote "better" breeding.

Eldorados are an excellent "starter" morph of pumilio. The froglets morph out larger than many other morphs and as such, can take runty dusted melanogaster fruit flies easier. I have a much lower mortality rate with them than with my other pumilio morphs.
I have pumilio, I just did not fall in love the El Dorado when they first arrived. I was suspect on the name, data, ect. They have started to grow on me.
JJuchems Wrote:I was suspect on the name, data, ect.

Interesting, and this is not the first time that I've heard this.

I've actually been meaning to start a discussion about this at some point. Why exactly, do you find this morph "suspect" ?
When they first appeared my mind went with locale, where are these coming from? I had not seen them described anywhere. And I was not buying the stop poachers/golden city name, I am typically a skeptic. Why would a newly imported morph come in at around $150 each and be so secret only weeks later other importers started bringing them in at $45 each.

Once in the country they have been described as one of the largest of the species. I am not saying they are not pumilio, I would like to see some DNA work just out of curiosity.

I find it interesting some known locales that made those 05 and later imports have not been seen again such as Cayo de Aqua, I was seeing "Gold pumilio" up until about Christmas.
JJuchems Wrote:When they first appeared my mind went with locale, where are these coming from? I had not seen them described anywhere. And I was not buying the stop poachers/golden city name, I am typically a skeptic. Why would a newly imported morph come in at around $150 each and be so secret only weeks later other importers started bringing them in at $45 each.

Once in the country they have been described as one of the largest of the species. I am not saying they are not pumilio, I would like to see some DNA work just out of curiosity.

I find it interesting some known locales that made those 05 and later imports have not been seen again such as Cayo de Aqua, I was seeing "Gold pumilio" up until about Christmas.

I've been down there and have seen the "Orange / Reddish / Gold" populations from Limon to Bri Bri all the way south to Sixaola. The "Orange" colour populations are a huge range, I would think, all the way into Panama.

The Name "Eldorado" is an obvious label ,as I'm pretty sure no city or location exists other than in the Mythical Conquistador Story about the Golden city deep into the South American Jungle.

I really don't think it was a Marketing ploy either. There may be some locale data from some years of these morph imports, I'm told.

That said, they are in the same "boat" as many of the other pumilio imports - no truly verifiyable site locale data.

They are no different from "San Christobal", "Cauchero" imports, among others. Beautiful pumilio none the less.
Philsuma Wrote:
JJuchems Wrote:When they first appeared my mind went with locale, where are these coming from? I had not seen them described anywhere. And I was not buying the stop poachers/golden city name, I am typically a skeptic. Why would a newly imported morph come in at around $150 each and be so secret only weeks later other importers started bringing them in at $45 each.

I've been down there and have seen the "Orange / Reddish / Gold" populations from Limon to Bri Bri all the way south to Sixaola. The "Orange" colour populations are a huge range, I would think, all the way into Panama.

The Name "Eldorado" is an obvious label ,as I'm pretty sure no city or location exists other than in the Mythical Conquistador Story about the Golden city deep into the South American Jungle.

I really don't think it was a Marketing ploy either. There may be some locale data from some years of these morph imports, I'm told.

That said, they are in the same "boat" as many of the other pumilio imports - no truly verifiyable site locale data.

They are no different from "San Christobal", "Cauchero" imports, among others. Beautiful pumilio none the less.

I understand the above, and at the time they first came in I was finishing college and strapped for cash. Plus their was more "site specific" pumilio being imported. The El Dorado kinda seem to symbolize the end, and I really don't like the name. The whole name a frog color morph after killing of civilizations for the search of gold.

On a bit of a brighter note, am interested in see what is imported this year. Seems to be about the same as last year, but maybe another morph/locale will appear.
Hmmm....on a "darker note" ,since you brought it up.

There are rumours of Panama "shutting down" again. I heard this from a couple people. Unsubstantiated mind you, but rumours none the less.
I heard that too. Along with another shipment will be arriving in about two weeks. Last shipment arrived about month ago.
JJuchems Wrote:I heard that too. Along with another shipment will be arriving in about two weeks. Last shipment arrived about month ago.

One came in this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people with industry knowledge are still predicting a Panama shut down in the near future.
Yes there was one last Thursday and the last shipment was March 31. There is only one company receiving shipments and they are not huge in terms of pumilio.

Sent from my Samsung Moment Droid
congratulations! on the clutches Phil
Thanks Tony,

Those are old pics (and clutches) but they do still lay.....just never saw 2 clutches so close together again, unless I totally missed it.
I bought this pair of 'spotted" eldorado, more accurately 'Las Tablas' pumilio, from Phil about 6 months ago and after I moved them into a 18x24x24 exo they did the same thing for me. In fact, the female has been tending to about 14 tads from those clutches. I have been checking the tads and still looks like I have close to all of them, I've never seen anything like it. These pums are about 26mm so perhaps their size allows them to care for more then your normal pum.

I also bought a 1.2 of standard eldorado from Phil which are about 24mm, these also lay double clutches, maybe 8-10 tads or so, typically have about 4-5 froglets morph out together.
Craig...it's gotta stand to reason, that the large size of those "eldorados" makes for the larger clutch size. Big boys to be sure and the female can feed all those tads ! Wow.