Dart Den

Full Version: Mistking set up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be purchasing a mistking setup very shortly here. I was just wondering how you determine how many and what type of nozels etc... you should get?
In the end, I will have
qty 5 12 x 12 x 18 tanks
qty 5 18 x 18 x 18 tanks
qty 1 18 x 24 x 24 tank
qty 1 18 x 18 x 24 tank
qty 1 18 x 36 x 18 tank
all are exos, I have had custom lexan lids made for all, so placing the nozzles wont be an issue (I wont have to drill any glass-bonus). Any tips or guidance would be appreciated. I already know that I will be getting the larger setup, as Im going to have the pump in the basement, the tanks are in the living room.
Derek
wow....with that size and layout.....I'd call Marty directly on that.
I did Smile (pm'd anyways)
He told me I'd need the bigger system, and I've looked at some of the different nozzles, but with the $$ involved, I dont want to get a bunch of stuff I dont need. I usually over do my purchases (always have left over plants etc...). All but 3 tanks are built, 1 is in process, and the last 2 have been bought and are just sitting. I need it up by mid June when we go to Florida for 2 weeks. I dont want the frog sitter to be responsible for misting all the time...
This isnt all of them, I have a 24 x 24 in there now too on the bottom right, and the 18 x 24 is in process to go next to it.

With it being in the living room I didnt want the pump around, my boy (he's 4) likes to fix things. So im going to run the line up from the basement to the tanks. The papers on the racks are pics. my girls drew of the frogs, they like to decorate.
You can also see the fruitfly management system (the dyson).
Derek
Nice set-up Derek.....
lol, I put a small cup with some margarita mix in it on the floor between the racks and toward the back where the kids can't spill it....keeps them out of my personal margaritas most the time. Still need to vacuume for a day or two after feeding though to get those free rangers. A film can with banana placed in each viv helps keep them where they are supposed to be not to mention little maggot snacks.

In my 12x12x18's One nozzle is enough, for my 18x18x24's I use a double nozzle, my 24" wides I use a double and a single, seem to get good enough coverage like that. You might be able to get away with just two nozzles but would end up with dry spots or supplimenting with some hand misting everyonce in a while. Are all these tanks drilled for drainage? Hope so, makes a huge difference. I have one thats not and its a pain to suck the water out. I installed a valve in line with that tank so it gets less water when I am soaking the vivs.
No, not drilled Sad I do have some 3/4" pvc in each one with a cap, ill probably end up getting a little pump of some sort.
In the beginning, i didnt plan on getting the system. Actually had the "collection" split between home and work but had to take the ones at work home. Now my wifes been watching me spray them every nite and said "its too bad they dont make something that'll do that for you, if they did, you could buy one". I got the green light, so, off and running. but i know what you mean about the sucking, it sucks, and being in the living room, on the carpet, wont be fun. But, its temporary till we get the new house built, so, I'll roll with it. Part of the addicition, in the beginning, you only plan on one tank, then another and before you know it...
thanks for the info D3, and for the compliment Azurel.
Derek
Don't be afraid of drilling even the new ones. (less to drain) I have used the same bit to drill holes in 10 tanks now without cracking a single one. Makes my life much easier. All I have to do now is fill the misting resivour and empty the drain buckets. I get my bits and bulkheads from www.glass-holes.com
Wish there was a way to do it after the fact...ive been trying to think of something.
derek
Yea, it can be done but it would be a major pain. You would basically have to remove everything....I might actually do that with the varadero tank...some of the stuff thats rooted good in the background could probably stay. just pull the frogs, plants, and soil, lay the tank on its side, tape a bowl inside where I would be drilling to catch the water and glass residue and away I go. It beats over filling the shop vac on accident and spraying stink water in the living room.
"Stink water" doesnt taste good either...
eww no, not if you are syphoning it out, get you one of those gas syphones with the squeze bulb. They work pretty good. Getting that nasty gunk in your mouth is a good way to get sick.