Dart Den

Full Version: New viv for Galacts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love Petco's $1/gal sale ! My 3 galacts are still in quarantine and I'd like to build them a nice home. I've done some research that tells me that they prefer horizontal setups, other posts say they like to climb. Since I have my pick of sizes, what would y'all recommend for their new home? I'm open to suggestions, and anxious to get started.

thanks!
kristi
too bad the dollar per gallon sale doesn't extend to the new tetra fauna terrariums. How big you willing to go? Is it going on a rack?
Well, I have an empty 70gal sitting on the floor, waiting to be cleaned. I was thinking along the lines of 29g to 40breeder. What are you thinking?

Uh, no, no rack. It will be sitting on an old library table near the front door.
40br. I have my three leucs in a 40br that I picked up at a $1 per gal sale.
I don't know much about Galacts. Don't they enjoy some sort of water feature to help with breeding?

A 40 breeder would be nice. I much prefer working on larger tanks than smaller ones.
Horizontal or vertical? A water feature is a must - we LOVE water features.

Lately, we've been working on all sizes of tanks. The big ones take a long time, but they turn out to show pieces. The smaller ones can be whipped out in a few days, including the water feature. Sweet!
I"m asking if they like one, Kristi.
Ahh, that's what I get for reading so fast. They'll have one in a 40 breeder. If the sound of flowing water is as soothing to them as it is to us, they'll love it ~

I did see some galact tanks online that had water features. One in particular had a fabulous waterfall. I think the tank was created in 2009.
Check out the fourth post. I think I've read a few times that they like a water feature.

post21513.html?hilit=galacts%20water#p21513
I remember seeing this one and was pleased to see that they like the higher temps. It's very difficult these days to keep the frog room cool - I have to keep most of the lights off and the blinds down.

Hey, I'd love to live by the water - I guess I have to do so vicariously thru my frogs. This will turn out nice.

I appreciate the help - thanks!
I've never kept them, but the viv's that I've seen them housed in, were def more on the terrestrial side, hardscaping-wise.
Good to know, Phil. I think they'll be quite content in that big ol' 40g breeder. I LOVE Petco's $1/gal sale. Yeah, I know that some folks can get 'em cheaper on Craigslist, but then there's the extensive cleaning. And the last time I looked at aquariums in Houston, I swear that they add an extra 0 to the price.

Are you still keeping frogs?
Hi Kristy,

Sorry I didn't answer you earlier. I have loaned, traded, transfered and/or sold my entire collection - check my Frog Room pics in the corresponding subforum and my advertisement of animals in the Classified and you can fully see what all I had. I'm planning on renting student housing near main campus at Gainesville and until getting settled in for classes - spring 2012 at the earliest, I can't do too much. My major at U of F is going to be Wildlife Conservation / Conservation Biology.

I'll still be 100% with running this site and I will look to get 2 breeding groups of obligates of some species - a single 48" bakers rack worth in a small apt is prolly maxing out.
I hate that you had to sell your entire collection, but I love love love the field that you're studying. Gosh, I wish I was a kid again....with internet....

You will do well, and I'm curious as to what kind of eo's Rich is gonna let you have Wink