Dart Den

Full Version: Greetings from Denmark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all you great Froggers.

My name is Flemming. (Users name: "Flemish", being meaning of my name!)
- Now being lurking arround for some time. Before writing in too many threads, I figured I´d better make an introduction!

I have been amazed by life in the Amazon/ rainforests as long I can remember, but I primarily pointed my attention to life below water surface with the fishes. I have kept aquariums now for some +25 years, and decided now was time to try new...
I have been lurking arround PDF for some time, reading and studying different aspects with keeping these!

- The Vivarium is ordered with measures, in centimeters: 75 tall, 100 deep, 50 wide. (Some 99 Gallons.)
Made from Pilkington "Opti White" glass.

From my years with reefkeeping I was a great admirer of this tank:
Reefkeeping Magazine - December 2011 Tank of the Month
- And I would like taking inspiration by the way he was aquascaping, but to do it by usin Mopani roots instead.
I think I will call this build "Bonzai Peninsula"

Backwall with be part covered with Xaxim, and artificial rocks by the company: *Back To Nature. Buttom will be covered by *BTN, combined with leaf litter.

I haven´t quite figured out how I will make it, either to transport water to a stream via "False Button". Or if I will have a sump! (It might be a sump to keep pump/ cords out of the enclosure!)

- Plan is to keep a arboreal species, I have not yet decided which it is going to be.

In buttoms wet zone I will keep Anubias barterii Var: "Nana". On the "Bonzai tree" I will keep only epiphytes, and keep number of species low. But with many of each!

I will make a "build thread" when Vivarium arrives!

I give thanks.
/Flemming.
Welcome to Dart Den Flemming.

Glad to have you here !

Interesting freshwater pics that you posted earlier. We have a few Cichlid enthusiasts here as well. Looking forward to your first build and that conservancy link looks awesome.

Enjoy yourself here and post often.

~Phil
Hey Flemming,
Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, seems like many people don't take the time to do that. Best of luck with your "leap" into dartkeeping (yes, lame joke I know). Anyway, we all like build threads...just throwing it out there Smile
-Field
Welcome Flemming!

As Field said, always nice to get introductions. Many of us came from the Reef hobby, so no surprise to be sharing the same interest in Dart frogs : )

There are lots of great people in this forum, so take your time reading and sharing your experiences.

Regards
Scott
Welcome!
Philsuma Wrote:Welcome to Dart Den Flemming.

Glad to have you here !

Interesting freshwater pics that you posted earlier. We have a few Cichlid enthusiasts here as well. Looking forward to your first build and that conservancy link looks awesome.

Enjoy yourself here and post often.

~Phil

Thank you Phil.

- It is a great honour to be here, and to take part... Only now I´d wish I was reading more before ordering my new Vivarium, and because I didn´t makes me feel kinda stupid!! (!)

Part of the stupidity, is that I am also interested in Orchids... That does not make stupid in it self, but my approach does!
- Thinking like, making a rainforest environment. And only having thought of light requriments for the Orchids... That kinda makes the frogs come second, knowing what I know now. And that was not what I wanted, but all to "feel happy"!

My saltwater was viewed from 3 sides, and I liked that... Wanting my Vivarium to be like that, now realizing that my future darts might not be so fond of that idea because of light all arround. (!)

- And having paid 10% extra to have it build in "Opti White" is a pain in my but if I am to blind it on 3 sides...
Maybe I should keep this for Orchids, and order another for the darts... (!) 8) Big Grin :wink: :roll: Arrow Idea :?:
Thinking they might like a "cave environment" (!) better, with only dimm light... (By "cave" I mean closed on 3 sides!)

As for the link in signature, yes indeed. It is two Zoo´s here in Denmark responsible, one only 12 kilometers from me. And the other in Copenhagen.
That zoo close to me is second to the real thing, and they are doing a great job with inspirering environment. For the animals too...

I hope the attached photos is not concidered bad propaganda!
- It is nice to pick up inspiration at a Zoo actually when one can not afford the real thing. (Or not at the moment that is!)
fieldsmith Wrote:Hey Flemming,
Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, seems like many people don't take the time to do that. Best of luck with your "leap" into dartkeeping (yes, lame joke I know). Anyway, we all like build threads...just throwing it out there Smile
-Field

Thank you for your nice welcome!

- Not lame at all... It actually is a giant leap for me! (!) :wink:

When I am throwing it "out there", I will need all the help I can get. Some luck too!
- I will maybe even need some crticism for the sake of my future darts... Please do!

Flemming.
RanaVenenosa Wrote:Welcome Flemming!

As Field said, always nice to get introductions. Many of us came from the Reef hobby, so no surprise to be sharing the same interest in Dart frogs : )

There are lots of great people in this forum, so take your time reading and sharing your experiences.

Regards
Scott

Thank you Scott.

- I did a lot of hard work in the reef hobby, being concerned about cianide fishing... But I really never did make a "Den" (!)
People only was interested in buying fishes cheap as possible... Not buying the somewhat more expensive handcaught ones!

I feel that I have found a niche here where I possible can participate... Maybe even make a "den" (!) Wink

A movie from my tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPzhCxuMc0Y

- NB. Turn volume down as it was recorded a bit too loud! :!:
EntoCraig Wrote:Welcome!

Thank you! Smile

Flemming.