Dart Den

Full Version: Frog Room and Frogs - Rusty_Shackleford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I just wanted to post some pics of the frogs I'm working with and their vivs, frog room etc. Feel free to ask questions about what anything is.
Here are some more pics
Nice frog room. I was not able to read the viv labels. What are some of the species you enjoy working with?
I like working with the bigger frogs. Sorry all, thumbs really aren't my thing. I have a few varieties of tincs, some auratus, Phyllobates bicolor and vittatus, leucs. I do have a group of vents and as my only foray into thumbs they are nice frogs and I highly recommend them.
Here are some more pics
More pics
More frog pics
wow...NIZE Jon....thanks for posting !
Thanks Phil. I take great pride in my frogs.
I'll have a table on Frog Day, please stop by and say hello.
I enjoyed your pics Jon - Thx

My fav are the El Cope -
RanaVenenosa Wrote:I enjoyed your pics Jon - Thx

My fav are the El Cope -

I wish I had a good camera so I could capture how metallic they really are.
An egg laden female vittatus and a wee little baby vittatus.
Froglets, juvis, subadults
Damn Jon, you guys always seem to have so much space, beautiful room and well i don't need to say anything about the frogs they do it for themselves, yup I'm also in love with those El cope,me and auratus huh,are the tincs colbalts?
Stu
Thanks Stu, I appreciate your kind words. I'm no expert, I just do what I do and the frogs just look pretty and breed. Yes there are Cobalts in there, I was fortunate to have purchased 4 froglets in Dec. 2010 and ended up with 2 pairs. That's luck. I'm pretty fortunate with my frog room. It's 14'x20' (4.26m x 6.09m) It has heat and air conditioning independent of the rest of the house, so I can keep the frogs at what ever temp I like. I still have lots of room, and lots of empty aquariums lying around. Next I'll be working on a 55 gal and a 75 gal. I think I'm gonna do these as more of a display tanks then some of the others. I'll be moving one into the living room I think...gives me a reason to get out of the frog room and sit in the living room. I wish I could send you some El Cope. They are stunning in person. Very shy as juvis but now that they are older I regularly see my adult group of 6 just hanging about all day. They only run if I open the viv, as any sane frog should do.
Rusty_Shackleford Wrote:Thanks Stu, I appreciate your kind words. I'm no expert, I just do what I do and the frogs just look pretty and breed. Yes there are Cobalts in there, I was fortunate to have purchased 4 froglets in Dec. 2010 and ended up with 2 pairs. That's luck. I'm pretty fortunate with my frog room. It's 14'x20' (4.26m x 6.09m) It has heat and air conditioning independent of the rest of the house, so I can keep the frogs at what ever temp I like. I still have lots of room, and lots of empty aquariums lying around. Next I'll be working on a 55 gal and a 75 gal. I think I'm gonna do these as more of a display tanks then some of the others. I'll be moving one into the living room I think...gives me a reason to get out of the frog room and sit in the living room. I wish I could send you some El Cope. They are stunning in person. Very shy as juvis but now that they are older I regularly see my adult group of 6 just hanging about all day. They only run if I open the viv, as any sane frog should do.
ahh jon thats lovely,corse i'd be sending some SB's back at ya!!!!
Actually quite a few elcope have made it here,i think via understory,such beautiful frogs,we have been sorely tempted by them. jon we live ina tiny little cottage is very cool and we are very lucky but damn we need a bigger room for frogs :lol: Our auratus kids are much bolder tan the parents well once they get older,us talking to them all the time i guess,the adults are ok ,but in no way the same as the kids.
oh mate your last sentence is funny as hell...a certain irony there considering what i've just posted,not the hard sad bit but the bit about our 2 tinc girls...you'll see :lol: ,i've always thought that the more an animal we keep is relaxed in our presence the easier life is for it,i probably go too far but can't really help myself.My mates at work used to call me Dr stulittle ok they were taking the mick but,i really can't help it what really beguiles me is a ruddy frog get this madness in me too, i hope i haven't affected their sanity too much :lol:
take care mate and again fabulous room and frogs...proper credit to you ,plenty of pics please of these new vivs
Stu
Here is the clutch of P. vittatus eggs I've been waiting for. They've only spawned a few times but up to this point I would get one maybe two fertile eggs. This spawn is ALL good!!
Couple of tads in the water
It's been a good day in the frog room. I pulled 7 P. vittatus tads from their cups and placed them into a morph chamber. I have yet to try raising Phyllobates tads communally. Perhaps next time I will. I honestly don't mind them all morphing out at once though. I also snapped some pics of some my isopod cultures munching away just for fun.
Very cool Jon! Guess that bugburger is workin out for the isos...I know mine love it. The other day I slathered it on a piece of cardboard, the baby isos went nuts. Guess its easier for them to eat a thin layer, may be worth a shot.