Dart Den

Full Version: Poll - Make your own FF media or buy pre-made ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Make your own FF media or buy pre-made ?
I make my own media. I use Julio's recipie. Seems to work ok for me. I get my potato flakes from GFS (Gordon Food Service) Great store!! I get a 5lb 5oz jug of instant potatos for $9.99. I think it's a good price. It ends up making about 20 cups of media. Which is quite a lot.
I have been EXTREMELY happy with the Repashy mix. Awesome stuff.
Derek
I use pre-made now. It's just one less thing to do and allows me more time with the frogs. I use Repashy as well and am very pleased with it.
I do both... Depends on my mood at the time that my current media is running low. I'm using pre-made at the moment... and although it's easy and convenient, I like how my homemade smells better.
I make my own.
I make my own media and store it in a large tub. Buying bulk and making your own will save you @ 40-50% off all costs.
I've found not only is there a significant cost savings making your own media, but I use less as well saving even more money. When I used pre made media I would use 2/3 of a cup per culture, with my own media I only use 3/8 of a cup. It makes the same amount of media but saves me a lot of money.
I use Josh's Frogs Media. I have never used homemade before, and my small collection does not have me constantly in need of new cultures. So, in the end, I stick with what I have always done. I would like to start doing homemade and store it in bulk, but I never seem to get around to it.

Jon, call, text, or PM me your recipe mix! Thanks!

JBear
Power mix all the way
Dead even split..almost.
I've used Josh's, and I'm currently using Superfly. Haven't made my own thus far.
started mixing superfly into Joshs. When I am out of Joshs, going back to homemade w small% of Super. Superfly is too explosive and burns out fast. Great if you are short on FFs, but hard to manage. It also dries up faster (for me anyway). With home made I got from Casper (local) i was getting prod to cont after 6 weeks and no mites.
I'm not sure how to vote??? I currently buy a premade mix and add some stuff to it. I think what i add to it adds nutrition and helps it retain it's moisture longer.

Someone should start a recipe thread!!
Found one: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=802&p=39656&hilit=fly+recipe#p39656
I use both, homemade and superfly. The superfly seems to produce faster and die off faster. If i add more superfly then what the instructions call for, they last longer but get overrun with mites.

The homemade takes a few more days to pop but it produces for 5 to 6 weeks with no mites. :mrgreen:
and there's always....buy bulk ready made and then 'cut it' with local ingredients to make it last a lot longer.
Neck and Neck....
DKOOISTRA Wrote:I have been EXTREMELY happy with the Repashy mix. Awesome stuff.
Derek

I was extremely skeptical of the product, but managed to get a free sample when he first launched it and have been using it since
I can't vote off tapatalk! D:

I was doing my own mix at first, but the Neherp stuff was producing more flies for a longer period of time, so I've stuck to that. I'll be trying a mix of both that and my homemade stuff and see what the results are. I'm trying not to become too dependent on the pre-made mix.

I only have melanogasters by the way.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
I make my own.When you make alot of cultures it definitely cost quite abit less and as Riko stated I prefer the smell of mine also.That and production is good so why mess with it.I keep my cultures longer than most people do and have never had a mite problem.If it's producing I keep and feed them off usually until the culture is dried out.
Pages: 1 2