Dart Den

Full Version: First culture arrived of Melanogaster, quick question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey I just recieved my first FF culture from Josh's Frogs and was going to split it into two right away. I am planning on getting 4 leucs for my 24x18x24 and am hoping 2 sets of cultures going will be enough. I was just wondering if I should wait a couple days before splitting because it seems there are around only 50 flies in the culture I got? I do see larvae crawling around also. There is no date on it as well so should I assume it is like a week old before I slap a date on it? If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated! Thx Dan
for 4 leucs...2 cultures of melanogaster should be good. I would try to make at least one fresh culture a week or 2 weeks at the latest -and IF you can remember (that's why I stick to every single Sunday).

You could tap out @ 1/2 of those flies to seed a brand new culture -sure...especially since you see maggots in "Josh" cx.
Cool thx for the quick reply Phil! Yea I'm doing sunday as my day as well, because thats when I've been feeding my springs so far. I just meant if I split my first culture here into two, and then make new cultures off of those every week, if that will be enough. I read up on all the culturing habbits, just wasn't sure if I should wait for more flies to emerge.
You never want to use 'brand new' flies - what is referred to as the 'first emergence" ....always wait an extra few days when using flies from an existing cx to make a new one.