Dart Den

Full Version: Questions about eggs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started researching this hobby 8 or 9 months ago, and have had frogs for about 3 or 4 months now, so am new and need some guidance please! Two separate egg questions.
Friday (3 days ago) my proven imis laid 3 eggs! Tongue Of course I am thrilled, and actually couldn't believe the size of the eggs, compared to the poor female! The eggs are huge! Anyway, I know they are fertile, cause I see 2 of the embryos spinning when I check them with the flashlight. My question: twice now, in 3 days, I have seen one of the parents "straddling" the eggs. (The eggs are on a leaf of their favorite brom, about an inch up from the center). Friday when I saw it ( it was the male then), I thought he must be fertilizing them, as the eggs were definitely new then (weren't there Thursday). Tonight, the female was doing the same thing. Just standing over the eggs, not moving, her front foot on the front egg. She was there with the eggs like that for about 1/2 an hour. Any ideas? Is this just part of how the parents watch over the eggs? I have read just about all the threads on here, for years back, and know that some members have witnessed tadpoles and fathers chirping at each other, etc. Any evidence of parents "communicating" with eggs? Whatever it is, I am very excited! They also have a 5 week old tad in the center of their favorite brom, and I have had great fun checking on him every day! Such very tiny frogs, and such wonderful parents, it really is amazing!

My second egg question is in regards to my proven pair of leucs. I bought them a month ago at the Chicago Repticon show, they are almost 2 years old, and are proven. Some of their froglets were also for sale at Repticon, in fact. Anyway, they have been bold and brave from day #1. When I open the viv to feed/mist, they often hop to the front to see me. The male started calling within a few days of getting here to their new home. Anyway, yesterday morning, I knew something was going on. The calling was different, so I kept watching what was up. It was obviously courting behavior, ending with both of them under a large leaf, then a bit later, in the cocohut, then later in the center of the brom. Anyway, I had to go to work then, so couldn't check on things until this morning. In the petri dish under the cocohut, a huge glob of gel!!!! I switched out petri dishes, and upon inspection, it appears to just be a huge glob of gel Sad It doesn't look like any eggs IN the gel. I don't recall having seen this on any of the posts I've read (and believe me, I've read thousands!). Anyone have gel without eggs? I have searched the net, and Dart Den, for pix of leuc eggs, thinking that with the huge imi eggs in mind, I might just be missing the leuc eggs? But no, they are black, but still appear large enough to see in the pix. Sad
Thanks for any and all information in these regards. I want to learn whatever I can, in hopes of having stronger, healthier eggs/tads/froglets/frogs, so thanks in advance!
Diane
BTW, I do dust every day, switching between Reptocal calcium with D3 and Herptivite, both 3 months old and don't outdate until 2014 & 2015. Also springs and isos.
Have you noticed any snails in the viv with the leucs? They go to town on eggs.
Derek
sometimes they 'just don't get it right' and the eggs are either 'bad' or non existent.

No worries...it only happened once right ? There will be another egg laying to be sure.
Thanks guys! No snails, but I'll keep an eye out for them. And yes, this is the only time it's happened.