Dart Den

Full Version: Planting the background pots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried searching, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. When using the net/regular/plastic cup pots that most people use on their backgrounds, do you put substrate inside of them, like ABG? Would I do a mini drainage layer in it then ABG and then plant the plant? Thanks for the help!
Tough question Alex.....depends on so many other things. Species of plant, light, humidity, ect.

I would make sure there are drainage holes - definately, in all the pots. Then use well rooted starter plants with a bit of moist sphagnum in the pots. Plants are pretty easy. There's few (at least for me) expensive plantings, so I tend to just place em' where I like and 'what takes, takes'.....that kind of thing.
sounds simple enough for me. Sphagnum it is. I guess I was just thinking about how house plants are planted and thought it may apply to the way these are planted. Thanks again!
Hmmm. I forgot to mention ABG. I use it with the spag
on a side note, if you get creepers, like fig and what not, they will start growing on the BG with no pot needed, you may need to watch they don't overtake something you make plant on the BG. mine are pretty agressive, i have to cut them back quite a bit.