Dart Den

Full Version: How Much Leaf Litter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am just wondering now how much leaf litter i should have for my santa isabel. He seems to utilize them regularly, but i dont want to over do it. Should the whole bottom be covered or just partly?
Good 2-3" layer
dtfleming Wrote:Good 2-3" layer

Thank You. My currently nameless frog seems to enjoy hopping all around, and tends to use the leaf litter more at night. I know i should have a coconut hut for him, but if he is using the leaves is that good enough? im sorry i have so many questions, i just want to make sure im doing everything the right way rather than find out the wrong way lol
You can cover patches / parts of the bottom. I like using 2 layers of Magnolia leaves, that way there is lots of room in 'the pringles chips". I also use dried Live oak (smaller leaves) to mix into the above - helps the microfuana flourish.
Philsuma Wrote:You can cover patches / parts of the bottom. I like using 2 layers of Magnolia leaves, that way there is lots of room in 'the pringles chips". I also use dried Live oak (smaller leaves) to mix into the above - helps the microfuana flourish.

haha i actually referred to them as pringles as well because of how they are dried. as far as microfauna..do they show up on their own or is there something i have to do to get it started? i do have a 2 inch false bottom topped with a substrate barrier, some abg mix and then moss topped with some patched of leaves. I do not however have any standing water in the false bottom, but my humidity stays at a constant 90.
buy microfauna and leaf litter from our Sponsors:

http://www.shop.jl-exotics.com/
FYI - JL Exotics breed Tricolor Isabels - I bought my female from him.
thanks, rana! ill have to check them out!