Dart Den

Full Version: epipedobates anthonyi enclosure size ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have read that frogs should be housed at 1 per 5-10 gallons. I have a 12x12x18 exoterra, and was wondering if it would be too small to house 3 in ? i know for a fact i want to add another, but wasn't sure if three would be pushing it, as frogs like to have some space.
that's the 'smaller' more vertical size enclosure and clocks out at @ 11 gallons BEFORE hardscaping and false bottom...so it's a tad bit on the small side. I only use that size for 'grow-out' tanks and temp tanks or maybe for 2 thumbnail sized frogs.

1.1, or one male, one female is what I would feel comfortable with in that size, but in truth, I think you should get a 20 gallon size enclosure, minimum.
Philsuma Wrote:that's the 'smaller' more vertical size enclosure and clocks out at @ 11 gallons BEFORE hardscaping and false bottom...so it's a tad bit on the small side. I only use that size for 'grow-out' tanks and temp tanks or maybe for 2 thumbnail sized frogs.

1.1, or one male, one female is what I would feel comfortable with.

warning - in addition to what Phil said, yet another reason to avoid/use caution w smaller vivs is Frog Escapees; small viv + frog in panic = you on hands and knees hoping to catch a lighting ball the size of a dime. If your turn your head at the wrong instance you may find a dried frog prune a month later. If it is possible for you, I think the 18x18 cube by zoomed or exo is ideal foot print. I would not sell your current 11g, keep it for grow out or pair of future Imitators. Before its over you will prob have half dozen vivs anyway :wink:
^^ absolutely. Those epips are fast and much more of escape artists than a lot of other species.
Also, just a heads up, Petsmart is selling the 36x18x18 exos for $85 on Friday. That could make for a very nice display for a group of Epips. With a tank that size, I'd imagine you'd see much more dynamic interactions within the group as well.
thank you! i may have to go and buy two or three haha